1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throw Up Problem without given velocity or time

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    "Throw Up" Problem without given velocity or time

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is thrown straight upward from the edge of a bridge so it passes the bridge on the way down and falls in the river 63.3m below. The stone strikes the water 2.20s after it passes the bridge. Calculate
    a) the speed of the stone as it passes the bridge
    b)the maximum height above the bridge which the stone attained
    (assume there is no air resistance)
    2. Relevant equations
    There was none given, so I am assuming that its the normal kinematic equations to solve for them such as V=Vo+A*t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I literally spent four hours tryinng to solve this problem. I tried manipulating my coordinate system, but nothing seemed to work. However, I do know that the answer for A is 17.99m/s and B is 16.5m

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    Re: "Throw Up" Problem without given velocity or time

I know those are the answers because my teacher gave us the answers prior to the assignment, just so it might guide us to figure out how to actually solve this impossible problem.

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

There are 2 others SUVAT equations and find the one that suit with given data.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Treat it as 2 separate problems.

First you need to find the initial velocity of a fall under gravity. You know the distance and time. Should be easy.

Once you have found that, you can use the initial velocity to find the max height. (hint an object returns to the starting point with the same speed it was thrown up with.)

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5

But it was thrown off of a bridge into the water so the starting and ending points are at different levels. Also i wasnt given an initial velocity.

7. Oct 1, 2012 #6

By conservation of energy, the speed it was thrown up from the bridge, is equal to the speed when it passes down the same level as it plunges down into the water below.

8. Oct 1, 2012 #7

Thanks you guys, got it (:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook