Throwing a Javelin (Projectile Motion)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of an athlete being able to throw a javelin 60m from a standing position and determining how far they could throw while running at a constant velocity. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving for the ideal angle to throw at while running, as well as questioning the reasoning and calculations involved.
TopCat

Homework Statement

An athlete can throw a javelin 60m from a standing position. If he can run 100m at constant velocity in 10s, how far could he hope to throw the javelin while running? Neglect air resistance and the height of the thrower in the interest of simplicity.

Homework Equations

I've found the range to be R(θ) = 2 v0/g sinθ (v0 cosθ + vr)
where v0 is the initial velocity and vr is the velocity of the thrower's initial run.

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the above equation and the premise that the thrower can throw 60m from standing, I solved for v0 using vr=0, R=60, g=9.8, and θ=45° as that is the ideal throwing angle from standing. I found v0 = √(60g).

Next I tried to find the ideal angle to throw at when vr = 10 m/s. I did this by taking solving R'(θ)=0 where R'(θ) is the derivative of the range formula. I found:
R'(θ) = c v0²/2 cos2θ + c vr cosθ = 0 where c = 2 v0/g.

This yielded the equation v0 cos2θ = -vr cosθ. Using an identity for cos2θ, I obtained the following quadratic equation:
2 cos²θ + d cosθ -1 = 0 where d = vr/v0 = 10/√(60g).

Solving for θ I got θ = 0.65 rads = 37°. The book, however, lists 52.3° as the angle, and therefore gets a different value of R than I do. I'm not sure where I went wrong with my logic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't look through the detail yet, but assuming that the runner/thrower throws at the same angle as when standing, the runner's velocity adds to the vx of the javelin, but does not contribute to the vertical velocity.

Make sure the correct angle is calculated for the range (60 m) of the throw from stationary position.

That's kind of what's tying me up. The problem stated nothing about the initial angle thrown, so I made the assumption that the thrower threw at the angle to maximize range. From standstill that's pi/4, and with some added vr, I presumed the ideal angle would change and sought to calculate it and use it to calculate the final range.

Okay, so after thinking about this, I've realized the angle clearly should be greater than [tex]45^\circ[/tex]. This is because the [tex]v_x[/tex] is greater than the [tex]v_y[/tex] when the thrower is running. That being the case, he must throw at a greater angle so that the effective angle thrown at is [tex]45^\circ[/tex]. Provided that reasoning correct, I have, for maximum range:

[tex]v_{0x} = v_{oy}[/tex]
[tex]\Downarrow[/tex]
[tex]v_0 \sin\theta = v_0 \cos\theta + v_r[/tex]
[tex]\Downarrow[/tex]
[tex]\sin\theta - \cos\theta = \frac{v_r}{v_0}[/tex]

Squaring both sides gives

[tex] \sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta - 2\sin\theta\cos\theta = \frac{v_r^2}{v_0^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Downarrow[/tex]
[tex] \sin2\theta = -\frac{v^2_r}{v^2_0}[/tex]

However, when I solve that I don't get the angle of [tex]52.3^\circ[/tex] (I get something ludicrous like [tex]-10^\circ[/tex]). Was my reasoning incorrect?

Also, when I take

[tex]R = \frac{2v_0}{g}(v_0 \cos\theta + v_r) \sin\theta[/tex]

and solve R' = 0 I get [tex]35^\circ[/tex] as the solution. Where am I going wrong here?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of throwing a javelin?

The purpose of throwing a javelin is to achieve the longest distance possible by utilizing proper technique and form. It is also a competitive event in track and field sports.

2. What factors affect the distance a javelin can be thrown?

The distance a javelin can be thrown is affected by various factors such as the athlete's strength, technique, speed, angle of release, wind speed and direction, and the type of javelin used. Environmental factors like altitude and temperature can also play a role.

3. What is the proper technique for throwing a javelin?

The proper technique for throwing a javelin involves a series of steps including the approach run, crossover, delivery, and follow-through. The athlete must also hold the javelin correctly, using a grip known as the "four-finger grip", and utilize a smooth and fluid throwing motion.

4. How does projectile motion play a role in throwing a javelin?

Projectile motion is the curved path that a thrown object takes due to the combination of its initial velocity and the force of gravity. In throwing a javelin, the athlete must use the appropriate angle and force to achieve the desired trajectory and distance, taking into account the effects of gravity.

5. Can anyone learn to throw a javelin?

While some people may have a natural talent for throwing a javelin, it is a skill that can be learned and improved with practice and proper coaching. However, it is important to note that not everyone may have the physical capabilities or body type to excel in this event.