1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion given only x and y distance

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question reads: Luke Skywalker is dropping a bomb down a ventilation shaft on the Death Star. The circular shaft has a diameter of 1m. When the bomb is released, Luke's X-wing start-fighter is 200m above the shaft's opening and 500m horizontally from the front edge of the opening. His ship is traveling at a velocity v0 at an angle θ
    above the horizontal. If he wants the bomb to reach the front edge of the opening so that the bomb is moving toward a point on the other side of the shaft that is 10m below the opening, find the appropriate values of v0 and θ.

2. Relevant equations
    Velocity in the y direction: vy = 10vx
    x= x0 + ((v0)(cosθ))t
    y = y0 +((v0)(sinθ))t + .5at^2

Constraints:
    time > 30sec
    θ > 70°
    100 < (v0) < 200 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I am stuck at: 200 = 4.9t^2 +10((v0)(cosθ))t. I am trying to get an equation to solve for t, but I seem to end up with two variables (v0 and θ) in one equation when I try. Please help this is due tomorrow (9-18) at 10 am!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2
    Maybe we try reverse position.
    The origin of frame of refrence at side of the shaft.

y=uyt -0.5at2
    x=uxt => t=x/ux

y=uTanθ- 0.5a(x2/(u2Cos2θ)

2 unknowns and we have 2 points on the path equation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook