Thunderstorm produced huge hail stones in Belarus 13 July

In summary, a stormchaser in Europe shared a photo of giant hail, up to 10 cm in diameter, in the Talacyhn area of the Vitsebskaya region in Belarus on July 13. These hailstones are known to be very effective in destroying cars and buildings. This conversation also mentions that hail can be even worse in other places and that the size of hailstones varies depending on location. Some have witnessed golf ball-sized hail, while others have experienced larger sizes that have caused damage to property. The conversation also touches on hail in the Carpathians region of Ukraine.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
From a fellow stormchaser in Europe
GIANT hail up to 10 cm diameter in Talacyhn area, Vitsebskaya region, Belarus on July 13

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13697084_1838281166394976_2089999493087491553_n.jpg?oh=028e330c98a65bc55ed26fe5841d343c&oe=57E9B763very effective car and building destroyerscheers
Dave

Likes PhanthomJay
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Everything is worse in OTHER places. Everyone should be glad we live HERE instead.

Likes Hoophy
Algr said:
Everything is worse in OTHER places. Everyone should be glad we live HERE instead.
depends on where HERE is :wink:

Wow, I've seen golfball sized ones on a single occasion, just a few of them mixed in with normal pea-sized hail, but nothing like these.

rootone said:
Wow, I've seen golfball sized ones on a single occasion, just a few of them mixed in with normal pea-sized hail, but nothing like these.

yeah me neither ... golf ball size is about the biggest I have witnessed as well

I lost a roof and a car to hail larger than golfball size. But nothing like that. Wow.

Likes davenn
I would like to add to the theme of hail in Carpathians, Ukraine

diametr-kuskov-lda-dostigal-5-santimetrov_rect_8d243527bc96d1c6fb756a3ff582045c.jpg

Likes davenn

1. What caused the thunderstorm in Belarus on 13 July?

The thunderstorm in Belarus on 13 July was caused by a combination of warm, moist air rising rapidly and colliding with colder, drier air. This created unstable atmospheric conditions that led to the formation of thunderstorms.

2. How did the hailstones in Belarus become so large?

The hailstones in Belarus became so large due to strong updrafts within the thunderstorm. These updrafts carried rain droplets high into the cold upper atmosphere, where they froze and grew in size as they were repeatedly lifted and cooled. Eventually, they became heavy enough to fall to the ground as large hailstones.

3. What size were the hailstones in Belarus on 13 July?

The hailstones in Belarus on 13 July were reported to be as large as tennis balls, with some even reaching the size of softballs. This is considered to be very large for hailstones and can cause significant damage to buildings, crops, and vehicles.

4. Are thunderstorms with large hailstones common in Belarus?

Thunderstorms with large hailstones are not uncommon in Belarus, especially during the summer months when warm and moist air is more prevalent. However, the exact frequency of these types of thunderstorms is difficult to determine as it can vary from year to year.

5. How can scientists predict or track thunderstorms that produce large hailstones?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to predict and track thunderstorms that may produce large hailstones. These include weather radar, satellite imagery, and atmospheric models. By monitoring atmospheric conditions and using advanced forecasting techniques, scientists can provide warnings and guidance to help people prepare for severe thunderstorms and mitigate damage.

Back