1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing an equation on calculator question

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    How do I graph an inverse parabola on a calculator? As in a normal parabola but opening to the left or right. Which means its X= instead of Y=.

If this is impossible(I know it is possible to use two seperate equations), is there any other way to add more "Y="s on the graphing calculator? There is only 10 at the moment, and my assignment is to use basic graph and transformations to draw pictures, on a graphing calculator. My main problem right now is that I need more "Y="s to complete my picture, since it consists alot of semi circle equations(my picture has alot of circles).....

If not (sigh), can anybody else think of some intricate but reasonable pictures that I can make? At the moment, I'm making headphones :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have three choices.

1) Graph y= x2 and turn your calculator on its side.

2) Graph the "inverse" function [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex]. Because f(x)= x2 does not have a true inverse, that does not give you the entire parabola- there is no function that is the "inverse" of f(x)=x2. You will, as you say, have to use two functions, [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{x}[/itex]

3) Use the "parametric functions" graphing mode if your calculator has one. Let y= t, x= t^2.

Since you don't say what kind of calculator you have, I have no idea whether it is limited to 10 graphs or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?