Graphing an equation on calculator question

However, you can do all sorts of things with just 5 graphs, even.In summary, to graph an inverse parabola on a calculator, you can either use the graphing mode to graph y=x^2 on its side, use two separate equations, or use the parametric functions mode. If your calculator has a limit on the number of graphs, you can still create intricate pictures, such as headphones, using only a few graphs.
Hayman Chan
How do I graph an inverse parabola on a calculator? As in a normal parabola but opening to the left or right. Which means its X= instead of Y=.

If this is impossible(I know it is possible to use two separate equations), is there any other way to add more "Y="s on the graphing calculator? There is only 10 at the moment, and my assignment is to use basic graph and transformations to draw pictures, on a graphing calculator. My main problem right now is that I need more "Y="s to complete my picture, since it consists a lot of semi circle equations(my picture has a lot of circles)...

If not (sigh), can anybody else think of some intricate but reasonable pictures that I can make? At the moment, I'm making headphones :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hayman Chan said:
How do I graph an inverse parabola on a calculator? As in a normal parabola but opening to the left or right. Which means its X= instead of Y=.

If this is impossible(I know it is possible to use two separate equations), is there any other way to add more "Y="s on the graphing calculator? There is only 10 at the moment, and my assignment is to use basic graph and transformations to draw pictures, on a graphing calculator. My main problem right now is that I need more "Y="s to complete my picture, since it consists a lot of semi circle equations(my picture has a lot of circles)...

If not (sigh), can anybody else think of some intricate but reasonable pictures that I can make? At the moment, I'm making headphones :)
You have three choices.

1) Graph y= x2 and turn your calculator on its side.

2) Graph the "inverse" function [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex]. Because f(x)= x2 does not have a true inverse, that does not give you the entire parabola- there is no function that is the "inverse" of f(x)=x2. You will, as you say, have to use two functions, [itex]y= \sqrt{x}[/itex] and [itex]y= -\sqrt{x}[/itex]

3) Use the "parametric functions" graphing mode if your calculator has one. Let y= t, x= t^2.

Since you don't say what kind of calculator you have, I have no idea whether it is limited to 10 graphs or not.

To graph an inverse parabola on a calculator, you will need to use the graphing function. This function allows you to plot multiple equations on the same graph. To graph an inverse parabola, you will need to enter the equation in the form of X = aY^2 + bY + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This will ensure that the parabola is opening to the left or right instead of the traditional up or down.

If your calculator only allows for 10 "Y="s, you can still graph multiple equations by using the "Y=" function and adjusting the window settings to show all the equations you need. You can also use the "TRACE" function to move along the graph and see where the equations intersect.

In terms of creating intricate pictures, you can use transformations (such as translations, rotations, and reflections) to create more complex shapes. You can also use trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) to create curves and spirals. Another idea is to use parametric equations, which allow you to plot points using two separate equations for x and y coordinates.

In conclusion, with some creativity and knowledge of graphing functions, you can use your calculator to create complex and interesting pictures. Good luck with your assignment!

FAQ: Graphing an equation on calculator question

What is the purpose of graphing an equation on a calculator?

The purpose of graphing an equation on a calculator is to visually represent the relationship between the variables in the equation. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the equation and can aid in solving problems or making predictions.

What type of equations can be graphed on a calculator?

Most scientific and graphing calculators can graph linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. Some more advanced calculators may also be able to graph parametric, polar, and vector equations.

How do I graph an equation on a calculator?

To graph an equation on a calculator, you will need to enter the equation into the calculator using the appropriate syntax. This may vary depending on the type and brand of calculator. Once the equation is entered, you can adjust the window settings to determine the range and scale of the graph. Finally, you can press the "graph" button to display the graph on the calculator screen.

Can I graph multiple equations on a calculator?

Yes, most calculators allow for multiple equations to be graphed on the same coordinate plane. This can be useful for comparing different equations or finding points of intersection between them. You may need to adjust the window settings or use the "zoom" function to view all the graphs clearly.

Are there any limitations to graphing equations on a calculator?

Yes, there are some limitations to graphing equations on a calculator. These may include the number of equations that can be graphed at once, the range of the x and y values, and the accuracy of the graph. It is important to understand the capabilities of your calculator and adjust the settings accordingly to get the most accurate and useful graph.