Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tilapia trash fish - raised on feces

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Does anyone eat this fish? It's probably the least healthy of all fish, being low in Omega 3 and higher in Omega 6, it's an unhealthy ratio of the two, and it just sounds really nasty.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--tilapia-raised-on-feces-hits-us-tables

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Damn, Evo, I wish you hadn't told me that. Yuch !!! I just had a very nice spiced breaded tilapia dish for lunch yesterday. It's been one of my favoite fish meals, and I may never be able to eat it again. I had no idea about that.

Oh, well, I still love you anyway :smile:

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    Oh man, wife and I have been trying to eat more fish lately and just ate a bunch of tilapia filets the other day. Thankfully we didn't really like them that much and decided to go with other fish.

Are you going to spoil Swai and Salmon for us?

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4

wukunlin

Gold Member

6. Apr 7, 2014 #5

Doc Al

Uh oh....

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6

Evo

I may have saved your lives. :eek:

8. Apr 7, 2014 #7

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Switching my diet over to more Tilapia fish would still be a better move for me. It can't possibly be worse than the junk I currently eat (read stuff in a box in the freezer to the microwave). :blushing:

[Then again, some of that stuff in the box in the freezer is also in fish-form. Hmm.]

9. Apr 7, 2014 #8
    I have a feeling it's healthy...

10. Apr 7, 2014 #9
    Used to buy this regularly some years ago, because it really was the only type of fish I could afford at the time. Country of origin: Vietnam.

Now I have to contend with chicken breast from chickens that have been raised on a hefty diet of dianabol, testosterone, and probably HGH. These chickens have some serious pecs, I bet they could out-bench me!

11. Apr 8, 2014 #10
    We can't win. Most of the above concerning tilapia was referring to fish imported from Asia where anything goes.

On the other hand American feed lot beef cattle are also fed chicken poo, albeit it is sterilized chicken poo, there is little regulation.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G2077

12. Apr 8, 2014 #11
  13. Apr 8, 2014 #12

Evo

But there is hardly any domestic tilapia, less than 5% and mostly the whole fish, not fillets, China is the major supplier of tilapia.

Plus, the fish itself isn't a healthy choice, it and catfish have the lowest omega 3 amounts, and tilapia has a ratio of twice the amount of omega 6 to omega 3 which is bad. I've read that you should have a ratio of 4:1 to 20:1 for omega 3 to omega 6.

So if you're eating tilapia for omega 3, stop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/s...ml?pagewanted=2&_r=1&sq=tilapia&st=cse&scp=1&

They're also destroying the ecosystem and killing off beneficial fish, they are considered an invasive species and doing a lot of damage.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  14. Apr 8, 2014 #13

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A lot of the rice paddies of eastern Asia are personally fertilized by the farmer or his family members. If you eat fish and rice there, you're probably getting a double helping of crap. But, cycle of life and all that ...

15. Apr 8, 2014 #14

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Tilapia is easy to farm yourself if you're worried about the supply chain, when I tried my hand at it I had a 200 gal tank set up and grew algae/plants in the sump that I re-fed to the fish. The biggest issues with it are managing the fish populations and setting up a breeder to keep the hatchlings out of the sump.

You probably really need a dedicated pool or pond to get enough fish to feed yourself and be somewhat self sufficient though.

Tilapia is pretty nasty tasting, and no amount of deep frying can save them (like cat fish), and yeah, it's not a real health food like salmon. It's cheap! I guess they have that going for them.

16. Apr 8, 2014 #15
    We have a organic farm and I have been eating tilapia for as far as i can remember. Well I stopped my consumption when i moved to Dubai. It is staple to Asian consumption. The small wild one taste different than the farmed variety. It has a distinctive taste compared to other white fresh water fish but I do agree that the mass produced type taste funny. It's like comparing grass to corn fed cows.

Not all salmon are healthy either.

17. Apr 8, 2014 #16

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

18. Apr 8, 2014 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Plants grow on manure as well right? The large amounts of antibiotics is very concerning, that should be forbidden.

Actually I spoke with a chicken farmer the other day, who had a very interesting approach to eliminating antibiotics: they disinfect a stable, after which they fully cover the ground with manure. The manure microorganisms create an environment in which disease-causing microorganisms cannot thrive (through competition), apparently it's working for them and they get healthy chickens.

Oh, and if you're worried about harmful bacteria, apparently it's hard to find a chicken without it. The Dutch government recently finished a few-year research program into the safety of meat, the Research Council for Safety conclusion: "the risks are too numerous and too serious".

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  19. Apr 8, 2014 #18

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

20. Apr 8, 2014 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh my. Redbelly Tilapia.

320px-Tilapia_zilli_Kineret.jpg

Not to be confused with Redbelly98.

21. Apr 9, 2014 #20
    My rule is I don't eat anything that poops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook