Time and max. height of stone thrown into air.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
shannon.leigh
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"The initial speed of a stone projected vertically upwards is 21.0m/s

a)What is the maximum height it will reach?

b) How long does it take to reach the highest point and what is the total time which it is in the air?"

Relative information:
a=9.8 m/s/s
u=21.0 m/s
v=0 m/s
s=?
t=?

Homework Equations



I'm not sure, but I thought v^2=u^2+2as rearranged to s=(v^2-u^2)/2a might be the equation I need for a) at least, then for b), v=u+at rearranged to t=(v-u)/a.


The Attempt at a Solution



When I attempted, I got

a) s=(v^2-u^2)/2a
s=(0^2-u^2)/2*9.8
=-22.5

b) ?

I know this can't be right, because I don't think the distance can be negative. Could some kind person please, please help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration acts downwards, so it is supposed to be -9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration.