Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory and Transition Probabilities

Then use that to calculate <\psi_f|V(t)|\psi_i> and plug it into the transition probability equation. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of spin flip for a particle with spin-1/2, perturbed by a Hamiltonian H_1, in the limit of t approaching infinity. The homework statement provides the necessary equations and the attempt at a solution involves using the perturbation and the ground and flipped states to calculate the transition probability. The person suggests using bra-ket notation and the integral notation to solve the problem.
andrewryno
I'm rather stuck on this problem. I seem to be having issues with the simplest things on this when trying to get started.

Homework Statement

There is a particle with spin-1/2 and the Hamiltonian [itex]H_0 = \omega_0 S_z[/itex]. The system is perturbed by:

[tex]H_1 = \omega_1 S_x e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}[/tex]

Find the probability that the particles' spin flips at [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]H_0 = \omega_0 S_z[/tex]
[tex]H_1 = \omega_1 S_x e^{\frac{-t}{\tau}}[/tex]

Transition probability:
[tex]P_{if}\left(t\right) = \left|-\frac{i}{\hbar} \int_0^t <\psi_f\left|V\left(t'\right)\right|\psi_i> e^{i \omega_{fi} t'} dt'\right|^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately I don't really have any concrete math to post in this section. I understand the derivation of the transition probability--looked it over both in Griffiths and Zettili (as well as my professors notes, which are mostly incomprehensible). I understand that I need to take the perturbation (H_1, or V in the probability equation), plug that in and replace the final and initial states with the ground and flipped states for the spin 1/2 particle. That's the main part I'm getting stuck at (probably one of many issues I'll face in this homework).

Now, I could probably solve the Hamiltonian for a general wavefunction in the ground state, but I feel like doing that wouldn't help me at all. I just figured that I could change the bra-ket notation in the formula to the integral notation and solve that (one of the examples in the book did it, but for an infinite well instead). I could probably then do the same thing for the state where the spin is flipped. Is that the right way to approach it? If not, I'm completely out of ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by working out what [itex]V(t)|\psi_i> = H_1(t)|\uparrow>_z[/itex] yields.

Last edited:

1. What is Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a system that is subject to a time-dependent perturbation, or a small disturbance. It allows for the calculation of the system's evolution over time, taking into account the effects of the perturbation.

2. How does Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory differ from Time-Independent Perturbation Theory?

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory takes into account the time-dependence of the perturbation, while Time-Independent Perturbation Theory assumes a constant perturbation. Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory is typically used for systems that are subject to continuously varying perturbations, while Time-Independent Perturbation Theory is used for systems with discrete perturbations.

3. What is the significance of Transition Probabilities in Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

Transition Probabilities are the probabilities of a system transitioning from one state to another due to the perturbation. In Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory, these probabilities are used to calculate the likelihood of a system transitioning to a new state at a specific time.

4. How are Transition Probabilities calculated in Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory?

Transition Probabilities are calculated using the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. This equation takes into account the perturbation and allows for the calculation of the system's transition probabilities at different points in time.

5. What are some practical applications of Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory and Transition Probabilities?

Time-Dependent Perturbation Theory and Transition Probabilities are used in a wide range of applications, including quantum optics, nuclear physics, and quantum information processing. They are also crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in electromagnetic fields, leading to advancements in fields such as spectroscopy and quantum chemistry.