1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dilation at very slow speeds.

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I have a question which asks me to find the time difference (difference between a stationary frame and one that is moving at 30m/s for 1 hour) it has asked me to use binomial approximation and I am kind of lost as to what I need to do to solve the equation.

2. Relevant equations

τ=τ[itex]_{0}[/itex][1+(v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2c[itex]^{2}[/itex])] obtained from here

3. The attempt at a solution

1hour is 3600S. I know how to do binomial but I can't figure out how to do this one. Any help would be appreciated. I've used excel with a lot of decimal points and got an answer of around 1.8x10^-11 but that answer is not accepted

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you dropped the factor of 2 in the denominator.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    thanks for pointing that out, I have fixed the equation but still have the same problem

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I also got 1.8*10^-11 seconds. I don't know why this is not accepted.

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5
    Have you used the binomial approximation? if so I will be complaining at uni tomorrow about the damn thing.

It has asked for 3 sig figures and I entered 1.82x10[itex]^{-11}[/itex] and usually it would accept it when its very close.

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    Solved now, problem with the marking system. btw just a typo in my earlier post with 1.82x10^−11, meant to be 1.80*10^-11

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook