Time dilation & length contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses an astronaut traveling at different speeds across a 100,000 light year galaxy and the perception of time and length while traveling at relativistic speeds. The equations used are L' = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) and t' = t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). The astronaut will perceive the length of the galaxy to be shorter when traveling at 0.99c and it will take 31,622.7766 years to travel from one end of the galaxy to the other.
riddledum
Hi guys and girls. Need some assistance with these problems, not the hardest examples, but I need some help on the way.

Homework Statement

An astronaut travels at 0.9c across our galaxy, which is 100 000 light years in diameter. How long time will it take (according to the astronaut) to travel from one end of the galaxy to the other?

Same question, but in this question, the astronaut travels at 0.99c

If the astronaut travels at 0.99c, he will perceive the length of the galaxy to another length, what is that length?

Homework Equations

L' = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

t' = t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

As always, I have trouble getting started and getting my head around what to do and how. Some small tips to get started would be appreciated.

Managed to solve both 2 and 3 now

1. is just about like 2.

What am I doing wrong here?

t' = t*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

t' = 100000*sqrt(1-0.9c^2/c^2)

t' = 31622.7766

Where did you get t=100000 from? You also messed up crunching the numbers. Line 3 doesn't follow from line 2.

Woops, saw what I did wrong there & Got the right answer immediately. Thanks a lot!

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to slow down for an object in motion relative to an observer. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because of the relationship between an object's speed and the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object from the perspective of an observer.

3. What is length contraction?

Length contraction is another consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity. It is the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion relative to an observer.

4. What causes length contraction?

Similar to time dilation, length contraction is caused by the relationship between an object's speed and the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its length appears to shrink in the direction of its motion from the perspective of an observer.

5. How do time dilation and length contraction affect our daily lives?

While time dilation and length contraction may seem like abstract concepts, they actually have a significant impact on our daily lives. The effects may not be noticeable in our everyday experiences, but they play a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.