Time Earth reached its Perihelion

• Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Time
In summary, on January 4, 2012, the Earth reached its Perihelion, the closest distance to the Sun in its elliptical orbit. However, there are conflicting accounts about the exact time this occurred, with some sources stating 10:59PM EST and others varying from midnight to 6:00AM on January 5, 2012. There is also a discrepancy between using the Earth-Moon barycenter as the center versus using just the Earth, with the latter giving a perihelion time of 00:33 (TT) on January 5, 2012.
Philosophaie
On 1-4-12 the Earth reached its Perihelion.

It is the closest Earth's radius to the Sun in its ellipse.

I have a few sources that have conflicting accounts about the TIME this happened.

Could someone give me a definitive source to clarify my discrepancies of clock differences.

One said 1-4-12 @10:59PM EST, other varied from 0:00Mid to 6:00AM that same day.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
January 5, 2012 at 00:33 (TT).

Do you mean January 5, 2012 @00:00:33TT which translate to Ephemeris Time Jan 5, 2012 @00:00:0.816ET?

No, I meant 33 minutes after midnight (TT), just as I typed it. That is the time at which Earth-Sun range rate went from negative to positive per JPL Horizons. I wouldn't put too much stock in timing this down to the second.

From the Barycenter Earth-Moon model in JPL Horizons with @sun as the center. The smallest Helio range "r" and the Helio rate changing positive has a date of January 4,2012 @3:00(TT). Why is it different to your perihelion of January 5, 2012 at 00:33 (TT)?

Last edited:
Philosophaie said:
From the Barycenter Earth-Moon model in JPL Horizons with @sun as the center. The smallest Helio range "r" and the Helio rate changing positive has a date of January 4,2012 @3:00(TT). Why is it different to your perihelion of January 5, 2012 at 00:33 (TT)?
You used the Earth-Moon barycenter. I used the Earth. Earth perihelion passage is the time at which the Earth is closest to the Sun, not the Earth-Moon barycenter.

1. When does the Earth reach its Perihelion?

The Earth reaches its Perihelion, or the point in its orbit where it is closest to the sun, on January 3rd each year.

2. What is the significance of the Earth's Perihelion?

The Earth's Perihelion is significant because it marks the beginning of the Earth's closest approach to the sun, resulting in increased solar radiation and potentially affecting seasonal changes and weather patterns.

3. How far is the Earth from the sun at Perihelion?

At Perihelion, the Earth is approximately 91.4 million miles away from the sun, which is about 3.1 million miles closer than it is at its farthest point from the sun, known as Aphelion.

4. Why does the Earth's distance from the sun change throughout the year?

The Earth's orbit around the sun is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse. This causes the Earth's distance from the sun to vary throughout the year, with Perihelion and Aphelion being the closest and farthest points, respectively.

5. How does the Earth's Perihelion affect the length of a year?

The Earth's Perihelion does not have a significant effect on the length of a year. However, it does contribute to the slight variations in the length of a year, which can differ by a few minutes each year due to the Earth's changing distance from the sun.