Time evolution of spherical harmonics

In summary, the given wavefunction at t=0 is a superposition of two spherical harmonics. To find the wavefunction at time t, we can use the time evolution operator and the Hamiltonian for a rigid rotator. This gives us the energies for the two spherical harmonics, which we can then use to find the wavefunction at time t.
misterme09

Homework Statement

At t=0, a given wavefunction is:

[tex]\left\langle\theta,\phi|\psi(0)\right\rangle = \frac{\imath}{\sqrt{2}}(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1})[/tex]

Find [tex]\left\langle\theta,\phi|\psi(t)\right\rangle[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{U}(t)\left|\psi(0)\right\rangle = e^{-\imath\hat{H}t/\hbar}\left|\psi(t)\right\rangle[/tex]

[tex]
\hat{H}\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle = E\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle
[/tex]
[tex]
\hat{L^{2}}\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle = l(l+1)\hbar^{2}\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle
[/tex]
[tex]
\hat{L_{z}}\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle = m\hbar\left|\ E,l,m\right\rangle
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that you can use the above operator to make time evolution of an energy eigenstate, but I can't figure out what energy to use for the two spherical harmonics in the given state at t=0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what the hamiltonian is.

Oh, okay, I should have realized this.

This is for a rigid rotator with Hamiltonian

[tex]\hat{H}=\hat{L^{2}}/2I[/tex]

So this means that the energies are both:

[tex]E =1(1+1)\hbar^{2}/2I = \hbar^{2}/I[/tex]

And

[tex]\left\langle\theta,\phi|\psi(t)\right\rangle=\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}e^{-\imath\hbar t/I}(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1})[/tex]

Last edited:
Yep.

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of wave-like phenomena, such as sound or light, in three-dimensional spherical coordinates. They are widely used in physics and engineering to represent the properties of spherical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and planetary orbits.

2. How do spherical harmonics evolve over time?

The time evolution of spherical harmonics is described by the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the energy and potential of the system and determines how the spherical harmonics change over time.

3. What is the significance of the time evolution of spherical harmonics?

The time evolution of spherical harmonics is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as atoms and molecules, and in predicting their properties. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry and astronomy to study the evolution of complex systems.

4. How are spherical harmonics related to angular momentum?

Spherical harmonics are closely related to angular momentum, which is a measure of rotational motion. In fact, the spherical harmonics are the eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator, meaning that they represent the different possible states of angular momentum for a given system.

5. Can spherical harmonics be visualized?

Yes, spherical harmonics can be visualized using spherical plots, which show the different components of the functions in three-dimensional space. These plots are useful in understanding the properties and behavior of spherical harmonics, and are commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.