1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-Independent Perturbation Theory

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1

eep

Hi,
    I'm working out the 2nd Edition of Quantum Mechanics by Bransden & Joachain and I'm a little puzzled by the sign of the last term in equation 8.30 on page 380, which reads...

[tex]
    a_{nl}^{(2)} = \frac{1}{E_n^{(0)} - E_l^{(0)}}\sum_{k{\neq}n} \frac{H_{lk}^{'}H_{kn}^{'}}{E_n^{(0)} - E_l^{(0)}} - \frac{H_{nn}^{'}H_{ln}^{'}}{(E_n^{(0)} - E_l^{(0)})^2} - a_{nn}^{(1)}\frac{H_{ln}^{'}}{E_n^{(0)} - E_l^{(0)}}
    [/tex]

They are deriving the formula for the coeffecients of the 2nd order correction of the wave function expanded into the basis of the unperturbed wavefunctions. That is,

[tex]
    \psi_n^{(2)} = \sum_k a_{nk}\psi_k^{(0)}
    [/tex]

We have derived that...

[tex]
    a_{nl}^{(2)}(E_l^{(0)} - E_n^{(0)}) + \sum_kH_{lk}^{'}a_{nk}^{(1)} - E_n^{(1)}a_{nl}^{(1)} = 0
    [/tex]

for l not equal to n.

Ignoring the other parts of the equation, we move the sum over to the other side by subtracting it, and we know from before that...

[tex]
    a_{nk}^{(1)} = \frac{H_{kl}^'}{E_n^{(0)} - E_k^{(0)}}
    [/tex]

for k not equal to n. So for k equal to n we have the leftover term

[tex]
    a_{nn}^{(1)}H_{ln}^'
    [/tex]

which has a minus sign in front of it when moved to the other side, so we have

[tex]
    a_{nl}^{(2)}(E_l^{(0)} - E_n^{(0)}) = -a_{nn}^{(1)}H_{ln}^{'} - \sum...
    [/tex]

where I have ommited the rest of the sum and the other terms. Now, obviously, we can divide by [itex](E_l^{(0)} - E_n^{(0)})[/itex], pull out a negative sign, and switch the order of the subtraction. This makes the overall term positive, does it not? The rest of the summation is not negative so I don't understand why this term would be...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2

eep

Well, some other people seem to think it's a plus as well, including the professor. So that's that solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?