Time on forum one hour off?

• Thread starter rewebster
  • Start date
In summary, when you are logged in, the site sees your preferences and adjusts for them, so if you have the option to compensate for DST selected it will compensate when you log in. However, when you are not logged in, there is no compensation for DST, so for half the year you would see the correct time when you are logged off and half the year it will be off by an hour.
rewebster
I thought it may be a time zone thing---but I think the 'time stamp' on threads is one hour off

--------------

isn't that funny--in the very time I was do this post--it got fixed!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They look ok for me.

Evo said:
They look ok for me.

up until I posted this thread they were reading (on my computer) one hour ahead----I have no explanation for it

Fleas.

Evo said:
Fleas.

oh my----you made me laugh

here, the problem (not you Evo)----

when I'm not logged in, its one hour ahead---when logged in the time is correct--OK, Geeks--what's causing that?

I would guess that when you log on, you have "correct for daylight savings time" selected in your user options.

Apparently the default option does not correct for DST, so for half the year the time is correct, which is why you have just noticed the time difference.

Last edited:
nope-still wrong-didn't help--turned it ("correct for daylight savings time") off, restarted --still the same

deleted all items from internet cache, cookies, and all the index.dat files

still reading wrong time when not logged into PF--right when logged on

next?

rewebster said:
nope-still wrong-didn't help--turned it ("correct for daylight savings time") off, restarted --still the same

deleted all items from internet cache, cookies, and all the index.dat files

still reading wrong time when not logged into PF--right when logged on

next?
That's what I said, the time is correct when you are logged in, it's incorrect when you are logged off (default).

You can only select the DST correction option on a registered account.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's what I said, the time is correct when you are logged in, it's incorrect when you are logged off (default).

do you mean we're all right when we're logged on, and we don't even know what time it is when we're not?

rewebster said:
do you mean we're all right when we're logged on, and we don't even know what time it is when we're not?
When you are logged in, the site sees your preferences and adjusts for them, so if you have the option to compensate for DST selected it will compensate when you log in. When you are not logged in, there is no compensation for DST, so for half the year you would see the correct time when you are logged off and half the year it will be off by an hour. I thought Greg had fixed this once in the past.

Next spring when time changes again, you will see the correct time again when you are logged off. Unless there is a fix for it.

I don't know if members outside the US are affected.

Evo said:
When you are logged in, the site sees your preferences and adjusts for them, so if you have the option to compensate for DST selected it will compensate when you log in. When you are not logged in, there is no compensation for DST, so for half the year you would see the correct time when you are logged off and half the year it will be off by an hour. I thought Greg had fixed this once in the past.
Next spring when time changes again, you will see the correct time again when you are logged off. Unless there is a fix for it.

I don't know if members outside the US are affected.

One of my 'rules of thumb' is to always blame someone, anyone, else first, too--then figure it out later

Last edited:
That always works for me.

Evo said:
That always works for me.

Greg IS gone, right?

(Mexico)

Yikes, it is today.

Evo said:

That would only make sense if we were still in DST. I don't know what time zone rewebster is in, but it might be more that the default is set for Greg's time zone, or maybe the server time zone, and when you log in, you can set your own time zone.

Moonbear said:
That would only make sense if we were still in DST. I don't know what time zone rewebster is in, but it might be more that the default is set for Greg's time zone, or maybe the server time zone, and when you log in, you can set your own time zone.
No, there is an option to compensate for DST that switches your time back and forth when the time changes.

In user options - "In addition, you may set the appropriate option to allow for daylight savings time in your part of the world." Obviously this is when you log in.

I don't know what Greg has set for the default, apparently the default was correct for rew without being logged in until the time changed.

Last edited:
Evo said:
No, there is an option to compensate for DST that switches your time back and forth when the time changes.

My point is that such "compensation" is only needed when it IS DST. The entire world is now on standard time, so there's nothing to "compensate" for. Had he asked last week or last month, it would have made perfect sense that it was something not compensating for DST wherever he is.

Moonbear said:
My point is that such "compensation" is only needed when it IS DST. The entire world is now on standard time, so there's nothing to "compensate" for. Had he asked last week or last month, it would have made perfect sense that it was something not compensating for DST wherever he is.

I'm in CST (IL)----Everything was right last week---every clock on my system is right---here's another funny thing---the time noted in GD for the "last post" column, is right for only those after I log on:

these are the two top threads (by last post order)

Moving this weekend ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Evo
Today 05:53 PM rewebster 351 4,143

Another Dream Topic
josht
Today 04:56 PM SpitfireAce 7 73

see the hour (or hour difference)

doesn't make sense still, ---yes --I went into CP (PF control panel options) and change it to all the diff. settings and it was still the same. So, no one else is seeing an hour diff. when completely logged off?

Moonbear said:
Don't forget, it goes both ways. It moves your time an hour ahead in the spring and an hour back in the fall. The DST option changed the time on my computer one hour back when ther time reverted. When he's logged in, the DST option shows him the correct time. When I'm logged in I see the correct posting time, when I log off, the time shows an hour later.

Can you think of another reason we would be off by an hour now that the time has changed?

If you go into user options and select "DST options always on", you'll see the wrong time on the post.

Last edited:
I think it IS a bug---maybe not fleas though---

I think I'll try tequila on it

rewebster said:
I'm in CST (IL)----Everything was right last week---every clock on my system is right---here's another funny thing---the time noted in GD for the "last post" column, is right for only those after I log on:

these are the two top threads (by last post order)

Moving this weekend ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
Evo
Today 05:53 PM rewebster 351 4,143

Another Dream Topic
josht
Today 04:56 PM SpitfireAce 7 73

see the hour (or hour difference)

doesn't make sense still, ---yes --I went into CP (PF control panel options) and change it to all the diff. settings and it was still the same. So, no one else is seeing an hour diff. when completely logged off?

Evo said:
Don't forget, it goes both ways. It moves your time an hour ahead in the spring and an hour back in the fall. The DST option changed the time on my computer one hour back when ther time reverted. When he's logged in, the DST option shows him the correct time. When I'm logged in I see the correct posting time, when I log off, the time shows an hour later.

Can you think of another reason we would be off by an hour now that the time has changed?

If you go into user options and select "DST options always on", you'll see the wrong time on the post.

That shifts everything the other way. He's seeing the time an hour too early, and leaving the DST on shows the time an hour too late (I just tried it to make sure).

Edit: And when I log out, all the times still display correctly for me. Just tried that too. Evo, are the times off for you if you're logged out? I'm on EST. Um...wait a minute...rewebster...is YOUR clock right? :uhh: The correct time for your post, logged in or out, was 6:53 EST. If you're seeing it as 5:53, that would be CST, wouldn't it? So, that would be the right time, not the wrong time. Did your computer not change for the end of DST yet? :uhh:

Last edited:
here:

When I changed it to 'DST corrections always on' --it changed to an hour ahead eg 7:39 instead of 6:39 instead of an hour behind when logged off

The default mighht be EST. I'm in CST and when I select" DST corrections always on" the posts show an hour later (EST), but when I select ""automatic DST" the correct time for my time zone appears, it switched the time I see back an hour when DST stopped.

OK--I changed the setting again and now it staying an hour ahead when logged off---hmmm--I bet it has something to do with a cookie

I'm still an hour off when 'not logged on'---any ideas? I went through all the DST options, no help..

AND, Is there an option (or going to be) about time not showing up as military time (24hr)?

1. What is "Time on forum one hour off"?

"Time on forum one hour off" refers to a schedule or system in which an individual spends one hour actively participating on an online forum, followed by an hour of rest or break from the forum.

2. Why is "Time on forum one hour off" important?

This system is important to prevent burnout and maintain a healthy balance between online interactions and other activities. It also allows for more productivity and focus during the hour spent on the forum.

3. Does "Time on forum one hour off" have any scientific basis?

Yes, there have been studies on the effects of prolonged screen time and the importance of taking breaks for mental and physical well-being. "Time on forum one hour off" is a practical application of this research.

4. Can "Time on forum one hour off" be adjusted to fit individual needs?

Yes, the schedule can be adjusted to fit an individual's specific needs and preferences. For example, some may choose to spend more or less time on the forum, or take breaks at different intervals.

5. Are there any alternatives to "Time on forum one hour off" for managing online interactions?

Yes, there are other strategies for managing online interactions such as setting specific time limits for forum use, taking regular breaks throughout the day, and practicing mindful usage of technology. It is important to find a system that works best for each individual.