Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time on forum one hour off?

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    I thought it may be a time zone thing---but I think the 'time stamp' on threads is one hour off

--------------

isn't that funny--in the very time I was do this post--it got fixed!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They look ok for me.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    up until I posted this thread they were reading (on my computer) one hour ahead----I have no explanation for it

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

Evo

Fleas.

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    oh my----you made me laugh

here, the problem (not you Evo)----

when I'm not logged in, its one hour ahead---when logged in the time is correct--OK, Geeks--what's causing that?

7. Nov 6, 2007 #6

Evo

I would guess that when you log on, you have "correct for daylight savings time" selected in your user options.

Apparently the default option does not correct for DST, so for half the year the time is correct, which is why you have just noticed the time difference.

8. Nov 6, 2007 #7
    nope-still wrong-didn't help--turned it ("correct for daylight savings time") off, restarted --still the same

deleted all items from internet cache, cookies, and all the index.dat files

still reading wrong time when not logged in to PF--right when logged on

next?

9. Nov 6, 2007 #8

Evo

That's what I said, the time is correct when you are logged in, it's incorrect when you are logged off (default).

You can only select the DST correction option on a registered account.

10. Nov 6, 2007 #9
    do you mean we're all right when we're logged on, and we don't even know what time it is when we're not?

11. Nov 6, 2007 #10

Evo

When you are logged in, the site sees your preferences and adjusts for them, so if you have the option to compensate for DST selected it will compensate when you log in. When you are not logged in, there is no compensation for DST, so for half the year you would see the correct time when you are logged off and half the year it will be off by an hour. I thought Greg had fixed this once in the past.

Next spring when time changes again, you will see the correct time again when you are logged off. Unless there is a fix for it.

I don't know if members outside the US are affected.

12. Nov 6, 2007 #11

One of my 'rules of thumb' is to always blame someone, anyone, else first, too--then figure it out later

13. Nov 6, 2007 #12

Evo

That always works for me.

14. Nov 6, 2007 #13
    Greg IS gone, right?

(Mexico)

15. Nov 6, 2007 #14

Evo

Yikes, it is today.

16. Nov 6, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would only make sense if we were still in DST. I don't know what time zone rewebster is in, but it might be more that the default is set for Greg's time zone, or maybe the server time zone, and when you log in, you can set your own time zone.

17. Nov 6, 2007 #16

Evo

No, there is an option to compensate for DST that switches your time back and forth when the time changes.

In user options - "In addition, you may set the appropriate option to allow for daylight savings time in your part of the world." Obviously this is when you log in.

I don't know what Greg has set for the default, apparently the default was correct for rew without being logged in until the time changed.

18. Nov 6, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My point is that such "compensation" is only needed when it IS DST. The entire world is now on standard time, so there's nothing to "compensate" for. Had he asked last week or last month, it would have made perfect sense that it was something not compensating for DST wherever he is.

19. Nov 6, 2007 #18
    I'm in CST (IL)----Everything was right last week---every clock on my system is right---here's another funny thing---the time noted in GD for the "last post" column, is right for only those after I log on:

these are the two top threads (by last post order)

Moving this weekend ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
    Evo
    Today 05:53 PM rewebster 351 4,143

Another Dream Topic
    josht
    Today 04:56 PM SpitfireAce 7 73

see the hour (or hour difference)

doesn't make sense still, ---yes --I went into CP (PF control panel options) and change it to all the diff. settings and it was still the same. So, no one else is seeing an hour diff. when completely logged off?

20. Nov 6, 2007 #19

Evo

Don't forget, it goes both ways. It moves your time an hour ahead in the spring and an hour back in the fall. The DST option changed the time on my computer one hour back when ther time reverted. When he's logged in, the DST option shows him the correct time. When I'm logged in I see the correct posting time, when I log off, the time shows an hour later.

Can you think of another reason we would be off by an hour now that the time has changed?

If you go into user options and select "DST options always on", you'll see the wrong time on the post.

21. Nov 6, 2007 #20
    I think it IS a bug---maybe not fleas though---

I think I'll try tequila on it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?