1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time question.

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    Let me first say I am just learning about physics and trying to understand some things about time.

Can we say time is the "Now" or am I missing the concept of time entirely?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Time. That which a clock measures. The thing that keeps events from happening at the same... 'time'. The odd man out with regards to spacetime dimensions. :wink:

4. Jul 10, 2015 #3
    Think of "time" as a continuous, ordered set of moments. "Now" is one of those moments, though which particular moment it happens to be depends on when you say the word.

Think also of "space" as an ordered set of places. "Here" is one of those places, but the exact one referred to depends on the location of the person saying the word!

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4
    Within the current accepted model of time, there is no such thing as "Now". There is only the past which we remember, and the future to which we do not remember. The concept of "Now" is explained as being the most recent past as the experience is simply very short term memory of an event that has already happened. There are of course other alternative theories that argue for the existence of "Now" being separate from the past and future but these are generally ignored by conventional science at this time. You might want to look into Space Time Atom Theory for more information.

Fay Dowker
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/f.dowker

Space Time Atoms

6. Jul 11, 2015 #5

Drakkith

I don't think that's correct. I know of no useful definitions of time in physics which have anything to do with memory.

7. Jul 11, 2015 #6
    I think we do not have a complete definition of time

8. Jul 11, 2015 #7
    I think that is sufficient for its usage in physics.

9. Jul 11, 2015 #8

Drakkith

I agree. As usual with threads asking about time, this one has already floundered into the area of philosophy and mysticism. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook