1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time required to fully discharge the capacitor where did i go wrong?

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cube of gold (resistivity ρR = 2.44 10-8 Ω m, density ρD = 1.93 104 kg / m3, and specific heat c = 129 J / kg °C) that is 3.5 mm on a side is connected across the terminals of a 40-µF capacitor that initially has a potential difference of 340.0 V between its plates.

http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/26-p-052.gif

What time is required to fully discharge the capacitor? (Assume the capacitor is fully discharged when the charge is less than 0.01%.)

3. The attempt at a solution

R = pL / A = (2.44 * 10^-8) * (3.5 * 10^-3m) / (3.5*10^-3m)^2 = 6.97 * 10^-6 m^2

C = 40 * 10^-6 F

Q = Q0 e (-t/(RC))

so

t = 2.56 e -9

which is not the right answer for question a

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your units for the resistance of the gold block should be Ohms, not square meters :smile:

I can't find a fault with your calculation (although the result when I calculated it rounded to 2.57 x 10-9 seconds).

Does the marker require any particular units to be used for the result (picoseconds? nanoseconds?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook