Time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the oscillation of two bobs with different masses and air resistance. The question asks for the time taken for both bobs to reach maximum amplitude. The conversation also mentions a driven pendulum with no damping and the mathematical definition of amplitude. The questioner also provides a position function and asks what x must equal for the oscillator to be at max amplitude.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

the driver is made to oscillate. then the energy will be transferred to the other bob . the other bob oscillate as well

all the ball are of the same frequency, as they have the same length. the air resistance is significant for smaller mass bob(paper bob) , so it has smaller amplitude compared to metal bob. my question is what's the time taken for both the bob to reach maximum amplitude( as shown in the photo) ,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my ans would be the paper bob would take longer time to reach maximum amplitude... as at the given same time frame, the displacement of metal bob from equlibrium position is greater than of the paper bob

what's wrong with the server? i can't upload the image...

here's the image
http://i.imgur.com/sB47t3l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3yiziKX.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me on this! Thank you

What have you tried? Are we looking at damped oscillation or driven damped?

The question makes no sense, The picture is useless, the grammar is not helping...

dauto said:
The question makes no sense, The picture is useless, the grammar is not helping...

I agree to an extent. I think I understand what is being asked, but I don't really know what we're dealing with here, and I have no idea how to go about it with the given information. Not even a list of known values?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I agree to an extent. I think I understand what is being asked, but I don't really know what we're dealing with here, and I have no idea how to go about it with the given information. Not even a list of known values?

This is my own question here. Just to verify my concept.

I refer to the driven pendulum. Condition: no dampling occur.

So it's driven, as if by a motor, but no dampening? So no drag?

Yes.

whats the time it takes an object oscillating at omega to reach max amplitude? or what does math amplitude mean mathematically?

If i have a position function Asin(omega t + phi) = x
what must x equal in order for the oscillator to be at max amplitude?

1. How is the time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude calculated?

The time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period of oscillation, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

2. Does the mass of the object affect the time taken for it to achieve max amplitude?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the time taken for it to achieve max amplitude. The greater the mass, the longer it will take to reach max amplitude.

3. What factors can affect the time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude?

The time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude can be affected by factors such as the mass of the object, the spring constant, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. Is there a way to speed up the time it takes for the big mass to achieve max amplitude?

Yes, increasing the spring constant or decreasing the mass of the object can speed up the time it takes for the big mass to achieve max amplitude.

5. How does the amplitude of the oscillation affect the time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude?

The amplitude of the oscillation does not directly affect the time taken for the big mass to achieve max amplitude. However, a larger amplitude may result in a longer period of oscillation, which would in turn affect the time taken for the big mass to reach max amplitude.