1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time the Earth requires to go towards Pluto?

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that, suddendly, the gravitational attraction between the Earht and the Sun goes away.
    How many time will the Earth require to reach an orbital distance from the Sun equal to the actual orbital radius of Pluto?
    (Sun-Earth: 150*10^6 km; Sun-Pluto: 5900*10^6 km approximatively)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the Earth run in an circular orbit around the sun, then once the attraction goes away, it should "escape" form it. But I can't figure out at what speed it would go away. How can I find it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Just at its orbital [STRIKE]speed[/STRIKE] velocity.

Technically it is not different from what happens when you rotate a puck on the string, and the string breaks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. Apr 8, 2014 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

It wouldn't go "straight" away (i.e. radially). Remember that orbital velocity is tangential.

Draw a diagram. You'll find a right triangle to which you can apply Pythagoras' theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted