Time to cover a ground distance.

In summary, the conversation discusses the migration patterns of Canadian geese and a problem involving a bird flying at 100 km/h against a 30.0 km/h wind. The first part of the problem asks for the angle the bird should fly at to travel directly southward, which is determined to be 17.5 degrees west of south. The second part of the problem asks for the time it will take the bird to cover a ground distance of 600 km from north to south, but this part remains unsolved.
acegsm

Homework Statement

Canadian geese migrate essentially along a north-south direction for well over a thousand kilometers in some cases, traveling at speeds up to about 100 km/h . If one such bird is flying at 100 km/h relative to the air, but there is a 30.0km/h wind blowing from west to east. At what angle relative to the north-south direction should this bird head so that it will be traveling directly southward relative to the ground?

I calculated this part, and was correct -- 17.5 degrees to the west of south. My question is part b:

How long will it take the bird to cover a ground distance of 600 km from north to south? (Note: Even on cloudy nights, many birds can navigate using the Earth's magnetic field to fix the north-south direction.) In Hours!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate part A, however I do not know where to go with part B. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I should add -- I did the inverse tangent(30/100) in order to figure out the 17.

Calculate the bird's speed with respect to the ground.

1. How is "time to cover a ground distance" calculated?

The time to cover a ground distance is calculated by dividing the distance by the speed at which an object is traveling.

2. What units are used to measure "time to cover a ground distance"?

The units used to measure time in "time to cover a ground distance" can vary, but are typically measured in seconds, minutes, or hours.

3. Does the weight of an object affect the "time to cover a ground distance"?

Yes, the weight of an object can affect the "time to cover a ground distance" because heavier objects require more energy and force to move, resulting in a slower speed and longer time to cover the same distance.

4. Can the terrain or environment affect the "time to cover a ground distance"?

Yes, the terrain or environment can greatly affect the "time to cover a ground distance." For example, traveling through rough terrain or in adverse weather conditions may slow down an object's speed, resulting in a longer time to cover the same distance.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of "time to cover a ground distance" calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of "time to cover a ground distance" calculations include changes in speed due to acceleration or deceleration, external forces such as wind or friction, and errors in measurement or calculation.