1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frames of reference and vectors problem

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car is moving toward north with a speed of 35 km/h. A truck travels toward west with a speed of 42 km/h.
    Which is the speed of the caravan according to the car's driver?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution given by the book is 15 m/s with direction south-west, but I get the solution of 15 m/s with direction north-west and I cannot get the reason.
    Can you help me with this?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2
    Please show or describe your calculation/drawing, which gave you the results (15 m/s, NW).

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    I used Pitagora theorem to get the value of 54 km/h that is 15 m/s, but the direction of the vector is north-west and not south-west.

5. Sep 21, 2015 #4
    You've already got the velocity correct in the first place, the direction is correct like the book says (SW). Did you try to solve the (direction-)problem graphically or numerically? Please show me your attempt to be able to help you.

6. Sep 21, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Does "caravan" refer to the truck? In British English, a caravan is a trailer. In American English, a caravan is a collection of vehicles (also animals) that are traveling as a group.

The truck is roughly SW of the car. Perhaps the question could be rephrased as "how fast is the distance from the car to the truck changing?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted