How do I do this trigonometry vector calculation?

In summary: The direction the plane must head to fly north is 9.93 degrees. Its speed relative to the ground is 123km/h.
Jan Berkhout

Homework Statement

A pilot wishes to fly at maximum speed due north. The plane can fly at 100km/h in still air. A 30km/h wind blows from the south-east.
Calculate:
a) The direction the plane must head to fly north.
b) Its speed relative to the ground.

Homework Equations

Sine Rule: a/SinA=b/SinB=c/SinC
Cosine Rule: a2=b2+c2-2acCosA

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a photo because I didn't know how to do maths on here.
The answer I got was 9.93 degrees and 123km/h

vectors.png

https://pasteboard.co/HwvgTjt.png
The answers from the sheet I'm working off say 12.24 degrees and 119km/h. And I don't understand how their way is correct. To get the angle they did: sin45/100=sinθ/30 If 100 is the planes speed it wouldn't be opposite to the angle of the direction of the wind.

Attachments

• vectors.png
    vectors.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 698
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your triangle scheme is not correct. According to your scheme, the plane final speed (which is represented by the side b=(AC)) isn't towards north but somewhere between North-Northeast. Make again the triangle in such a way that the side b is vertical towards north and has magnitude unknown which we wish to find, side a is the direction of wind (from south east to northwest, makes 45 degrees angle with side b) and side c has magnitude 100 and direction unknow theta which we wish to find.

It is useful to memorise a vector equation that your relative motion triangles must always obey:

##v_b\ =\ v_a\ +\ v_{b\ rel\ a}##

and remember that to show this vector addition, the two vectors being summed need to be drawn head-to-tail.

You are making things difficult for yourself if you don't draw North as heading vertically up the page.

Jan Berkhout said:
I attached a photo because I didn't know how to do maths on here.
The answer I got was 9.93 degrees and 123km/h

In your diagram, you can't assume angle B is 135 degrees. Angle B is the angle between the pilot's unknown direction and the direction of the wind.

The given information let's us deduce the angle between due North and the direction of the wind. So we can deduce angle C.

Likes Delta2
Thank you all! I approached this question wrong and I just couldn't see a different way to look at until you showed me! This often happens to me with physics questions, Cheers!

Likes Delta2

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector using trigonometry?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's x and y components.

2. Can I use trigonometry to find the direction of a vector?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the direction of a vector. This can be done by using the inverse tangent function, also known as arctangent. The inverse tangent of the y component divided by the x component will give the angle of the vector's direction.

3. How do I add two vectors using trigonometry?

To add two vectors using trigonometry, you can use the Law of Cosines. This states that the square of the resultant vector's magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual vectors' magnitudes, minus two times the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. The direction of the resultant vector can be found using the Law of Sines.

4. Can I use trigonometry to find the components of a vector?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the components of a vector. This can be done by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle of its direction to find the x component, and by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle to find the y component.

5. How do I use trigonometry to solve for an unknown side or angle in a right triangle?

To solve for an unknown side or angle in a right triangle using trigonometry, you can use the basic trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, to find the length of a side, you can use the sine function by dividing the length of the opposite side by the length of the hypotenuse. To find an angle, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, or arctangent.