Time to drain water through a pipe

In summary: That's the time it took to empty the tank.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a closed and elevated cylindrical tank containing water and a circular hole at the bottom. The task is to find the time it takes for all the water to drain from the tank. The equations used to solve the problem include Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation. The final solution involves forming a differential equation and solving for the time it takes for the water to drain completely.
Bruneleski

Homework Statement

A closed and elevated vertical cylindrical tank with diameter 2m contains water to a depth of 0.8m.
A circular hole is made at the bottom of the tank with diameter 0.2m.As the water drains from the tank, compressed air above the water in the tank maintains a gauge pressure of 5000Pa at the surface of the water.
Ignore viscosity.How much time does it take for all the water to drain from the tank?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation
Continuity equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach a problem like this in general but here is what i thought:
I can calculate water flow through a small hole using
[tex]
dV/dt=A\upsilon
[/tex]
Now
[tex]
dt=dV/A\upsilon
[/tex]
and integrate both sides to get t.
Unfortunately, I get nowhere.Units do not match and so on.I don't know if this is even conceptually right.
Now a friend of mine says i should watch out for dh/dt rate, but I can't see how is that useful

Physics news on Phys.org
That approach is fine, but you have to find v as function of volume or (better) height.
Think of energy conservation. To flow out with speed v, the water needs energy, and its volume goes from a region with high pressure to one with lower pressure.

I can get that using Bernoulli.

p1+ρgy1+½ρ v12=p2+ρgy2+½ρ v22

½ρ v12 is zero because v1<<v1
ρgy2 is zero because potential energy at the bottom of the tank is 0
pressure p1 at the water surface is constant 5000Pa (it says so in text).
pressure at the bottom(hole) is assumed zero(it says so in text).
so we pull out water velocity at bottom(hole)

v=v2= sqrt(2p1/ρ+2gy1)

we plug that and take integral

t=∫(dV/Av) from initial volume V to V0=0 when water is completely drained
but because Av is constant we can take it outside the integral and integrate dV and get
t=-½V2/Av with units completely off (which obviously originates from the V^2)

Using your notation, if y1 represents the depth of water in the tank at any time, and AT represents the cross sectional area of the tank, what is the volume of water in the tank at any time? According to the continuity equation, the rate of change of this volume has to be equal to minus the velocity out the bottom hole times the cross sectional area of the bottom hole. You should obtain a differential equation for dy1/dt in terms of y1.

Chet

Likes Bruneleski
Integrating dV' would give V, in the same way as integrating dt' gives t on the other side of the equation.
v is not constant.

Likes Bruneleski
@chet
Woah, I treated the y1 as the constant all the time instead of variable of time.
Volume of water at any time is dy1(which changes over time) times the area of a cylinder.
I substituted that and got easy differential equation.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I didn't see your and mfb's further responses. I'll leave my post just in case. I'm surprised you got an 'easy' ODE. Mine required separation of variables.
Bruneleski said:
I can calculate water flow through a small hole using
[tex]
dV/dt=A\upsilon
Good start, except v is always +. Note that v = v(h=0). h=0 at hole. I'm using v for hole velocity. You also have dV/dt = A1dh/dt.
Bruneleski said:
I can get that using Bernoulli.

p1+ρgy1+½ρ v12=p2+ρgy2+½ρ v22

½ρ v12 is zero because v1<<v1
ρgy2 is zero because potential energy at the bottom of the tank is 0
pressure p1 at the water surface is constant 5000Pa (it says so in text).
pressure at the bottom(hole) is assumed zero(it says so in text).
so we pull out water velocity at bottom(hole)

v=v2= sqrt(2p1/ρ+2gy1)
This is right. Remember y1 = y1(t).
we plug that and take integral

t=∫(dV/Av) from initial volume V to V0=0 when water is completely drained
but because Av is constant we can take it outside the integral
v is not constant! v is velocity of hole water which starts max. and ends up zero when the tank is empty.
WARNING: are you confusing A, the area of the tank with A, the area of the hole? I think so.
You have v(y1). You also have v as a function of dy1/dt.
So form an ODE with y1 as dependent variable and t as independent. Solve for y1(t). Find the constant of integration (the ODE is separable) , set y1 = 0 and solve for t=T.

Likes Bruneleski

1. How does the diameter of the pipe affect the time it takes for water to drain?

The diameter of the pipe has a direct impact on the time it takes for water to drain. The larger the diameter of the pipe, the faster the water will flow through it, resulting in a shorter drainage time. This is because a larger diameter allows for more volume of water to flow through at once, reducing the resistance and increasing the flow rate.

2. Does the length of the pipe play a role in the drainage time?

Yes, the length of the pipe can affect the time it takes for water to drain. Longer pipes have a higher resistance to flow, which can slow down the drainage time. However, the effect of length is not as significant as the diameter of the pipe.

3. How does the slope or angle of the pipe impact the drainage time?

The slope or angle of the pipe plays a significant role in the drainage time. The steeper the slope, the faster the water will flow through the pipe, resulting in a shorter drainage time. This is because a steeper slope creates a greater gravitational force, which helps propel the water through the pipe.

4. Does the type of material used for the pipe affect the drainage time?

Yes, the type of material used for the pipe can impact the drainage time. Different materials have different surface textures and inner roughness, which can affect the resistance to flow and, therefore, the drainage time. Generally, smoother materials like PVC pipes will result in faster drainage times compared to rougher materials like cast iron pipes.

5. Is there a formula to calculate the drainage time of water through a pipe?

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the drainage time of water through a pipe. It is known as the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, length, slope, and material to determine the drainage time. Other factors such as water pressure, temperature, and viscosity may also need to be considered in the calculation.