Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time variation in the event horizon

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    i haven't yet got this concept. i have read about the time "freezing" near a BH , but am not clear. can u please explain what actually happens? why does the time stop? i also want to know one thing-- when, supposing 'A' enters the event horizon he moves slowly towards the singularity because of the time. but isen't gravity stronger? so shoulden't he move faster? oh one more thing, is there any other way of detecting a black hole other than the movement of stars?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "freezing" of time is in the frame of a distant observer. Anyone falling into a black hole will not see such an effect, but will speed up due to gravity.
  4. Jan 14, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Agreed. The 'freezing' effect is what a remote observer sees. Your clock ticks away unfazed as the black hole gives your atoms a crash course in condensed matter phyics...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?