Timing of the big bounce in eternal inflation

Main Question or Discussion Point

In the picture given to us by loop quantum graivty, the big bang is replaced by the big bounce. So 13.7 billion years our universe bounced from a previous one.
In the picture given to us by eternal inflation, our big bang is just a local big bang and there is a far greater inflating sea. If the Guth, Borde Vilenkin (GBV) theory is right the singularity is located at the begining of eternal inflation.
So If LQG, eternal inflation and the GBV theorom are all true the bounce happened not 13.7 bln years ago but some time many aeons before that at the begining of eternal inflation. Is this correct? or am I missing something?

Answers and Replies

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The bouncing model endlessly repeats the cycle of big bang, expansion, and recollapse. The eternal, or chaotic inflation model invokes a multiverse populated by innumerable bubble universes each with its own big bang.

Thanks! I had not realised that someone else had proposed an eternal and continuous inflation model. I had wondered myself if our observable universe might be just a small part of an enormous continous inflation universe where we are further down the river from the inflation source so to speak..

Hey Chronons, you seem to imply that these theoreis are mutually exclusive, but Ive not found any reference to that in the literature, if there are any would love to see them. all Ive found is that inflation is actaully better explained by LQG
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2010PhLB..694..108A
but no mention is made of eternal inflation. If this theoroem :
http://arxiv.org/abs/grqc/0110012
is true then there is singularity at the begining of eternal inflation. So thats why Im thinking the bounce might be here.

Chalnoth
Science Advisor
LQC is definitely a different picture than inflation. It's not that it explains inflation, but rather that it purports to explain the observations used as evidence for inflation.

As for the singularity at the beginning of any sort of inflation, most people consider that evidence that the inflationary model just can't be extrapolated back in time that far, that some other quantum process must get inflation going at some point.