Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tiny Blackholes may pervade space

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    Keeton, C. R., and A. O. Petters. Formalism for testing theories of gravity using lensing by compact objects. III. Braneworld gravity. Physical Review D 73:104032 (May 24)

Source: American Scientist
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2
    So, if 'large' black holes are remnants of collapsed stars, where do these Tiny black holes come from? They seem to have left a lot unanswered here!
  4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    I did some more digging about and came across this articale

Source: SFgate.com
  5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    Very interesting idea, but I always percieve black holes to be extremely massive and chewing up stars, rather than a few atoms a time. It still does not say how they think the tiny black holes were made at the big bang...but then again, everything was made as this point and we do not know how.
    Confusing, but interesting, stuff. I am excited to see the outcome of the results once the tests are done...
  6. Sep 7, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Stephen Hawking made the case for 'primordial black holes' many years ago. His postulate was they formed in the very early universe when matter was very densely distributed. Black holes of all sizes could be produced when disturbances pushed the local density beyond the critical limit. The problem with this scenario is that very low mass black holes would evaporate via Hawking radiation in much less time than the age of the universe. By most theoretically models, this would result in a cosmic gamma ray background far in excess of what is observed. Tiny black holes might still be lurking about, but, appear to be much rarer than Hawking originally thought [around 1 per cubic light year].
  7. Sep 7, 2006 #6

Full prd abstract:
  8. Sep 11, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

What CMB artifacts does this model predict? I have this log on my shoulder that resists the notion of exotic effects that vanish at macroscopic scales.
  9. Sep 11, 2006 #8
    how relevant, that black holes are not just one size fits all
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?