1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tips for a newly graduated mech-engineer

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1
    ( I am from sweden) So soon i got a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering with orientation innovation and design. The focus areas in school has been product development, cad, FEM etc. We have worked most with Creo 2.0 but I am now learning Catia V5 at home because many companys use it. I am also learning german so that maybe I can work there later for some years or taking business trips there for a company ( I like traveling and my girlfriend if from germany). I think i want to work with product development, I like both design (estetics) and the more analytical part with analysis and calculations.

But what tips do you have? How do i advance in my career? are there some common mistakes I should try to avoid. Or just common tips :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I am a recent ME graduate who works in product development. My experience in NZ is that graduate roles in product development are very competitive.You need a portfolio of projects showing your skills, you won't get interviews if you all you have is a degree, you need evidence of relevant personal projects.
    IME what employers are looking for are practical design skills and hands on prototyping experience.

4. Apr 9, 2016 #3
    I'm studying in a similar field and currently do an exchange period here in Sweden. Didn't you already get some practical experience through your university required industrial placements (this seems to be a standard here)? You may want to consider doing masters as well and look for internships/graduate programs. I got my bachelors, worked in a manufacturing industry and currently doing my masters and I'm not even looking at full time offers. Entry grad level positions is what you need now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted