Tips for making into good grad school

In summary, the person is currently studying Mathematics and Physics at a university that has a highly ranked Math department but a poor Physics department. They are concerned about their future graduate studies and are considering double majoring in Physics and Math, with a minor in Mathematical Computer Science. They are also wondering if their GPA, GRE scores, letter of recommendation, and lack of undergraduate research experience will affect their chances of being accepted into a top Physics program, such as the one at University of Chicago.
rubrix
Hi,

I'm currently working on Mathematics (3rd year) and doing Physics alongside. My Universities Math department is ranked well among other top 30 (50?) Universities in US but the Physics department sucks, it really does. I'll have to stick with this university for my remaining undergrad study...but that only makes me concerned about my grad study.

I have no problem doing grad Maths here (although of course i would like to get into even better university) but i really don't want to do my Physics here (i.e. if i plan on going w/ physics).

The best Physics department in my area is of uChicago but i guess I'm overlooking, am I?

Would/do they accept student from sucky Physics department of another college?

If i go with Physics, i plan on double majoring in Physics and Math and possibly will do some grad Math courses meanwhile. Plus, I'm planned for minor in Mathematical Computer Science. Does that count for anything? I hear 2/3 (or perhaps it is 1/3) of Physics undergrad major also have major in Maths.

How much is GPA worth? I was checking their site and it said something like "average GPA of admitting student in Physics grad is 3.8x -4 in a scale of 4". With Physics + Math + CS under my belt i most likely won't get nearby that average.

How much is GRE (in Physics / Math) worth in admission?

What about letter of recommendation?

How about undergrad research? I have not done any yet as I'm not fond working in the lab but i guess i could.

My downside on all of those listed above is (and most likely will be) GPA. Can a solid stance in other criteria listed above makeup for that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns about getting into a good graduate school. I understand the importance of choosing the right program and university for your future studies.

First of all, it is important to remember that graduate schools look at a variety of factors when considering applicants. While having a strong GPA is certainly important, it is not the only factor that determines admission. Your involvement in research, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation also play a significant role in the admissions process.

In regards to your concern about attending a university with a "sucky" physics department, it is important to remember that graduate schools will look at your overall academic performance, not just the reputation of the specific department at your university. If you are able to excel in your physics courses and demonstrate a strong understanding of the subject, it will not necessarily hinder your chances of being accepted into a top graduate program.

Additionally, your plan to double major in physics and math, along with a minor in mathematical computer science, shows a strong interest and dedication to the field. This will definitely be taken into consideration by graduate schools and can make you a competitive applicant.

In terms of GPA, it is true that many top graduate programs have high average GPAs for admitted students. However, this does not mean that you cannot be accepted if your GPA is slightly lower. As mentioned before, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores can help strengthen your application.

Speaking of GRE scores, they are certainly important in the admissions process, but they are not the only determining factor. It is important to prepare and do your best on the exam, but do not let it discourage you if your scores are not in line with the average for admitted students.

Finally, undergraduate research experience is highly valued by graduate schools. It shows that you have hands-on experience in your field and are able to apply your knowledge to real-world problems. If you are not fond of working in a lab, there are other ways to gain research experience, such as through independent projects or internships. It is important to showcase your research experience in your application and how it has contributed to your academic and personal growth.

In conclusion, while GPA is important, it is not the only factor that will determine your acceptance into a good graduate program. Focus on excelling in your courses, gaining research experience, and preparing for the GRE. Also, do not underestimate the value of strong letters of recommendation and a

1. How do I choose the right grad school?

Choosing the right grad school involves considering factors such as the program's reputation, faculty, research opportunities, location, and financial aid. It's important to research and visit multiple schools to determine which one aligns best with your academic and career goals.

2. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a good grad school?

Some ways to improve your chances of getting into a good grad school include maintaining a high GPA, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, gaining relevant research or work experience, and writing a compelling personal statement. It's also important to apply to a range of schools, including some that may be a slight reach.

3. How much does undergraduate GPA matter for grad school admissions?

Undergraduate GPA is an important factor in grad school admissions, but it's not the only one. Admissions committees also consider factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, a high GPA can demonstrate academic excellence and dedication to your field of study.

4. Is it necessary to take the GRE for grad school admissions?

Many grad schools require the GRE as part of their admissions process, but not all do. It's important to research the specific requirements of each school you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary. Some programs may also consider other standardized tests, such as the GMAT or MCAT, in place of the GRE.

5. When should I start preparing for grad school admissions?

It's generally recommended to start preparing for grad school admissions at least a year in advance. This allows time to research programs, study for standardized tests, obtain letters of recommendation, and prepare application materials. Starting early can also help reduce stress and give you time to make any necessary improvements to your application.