Tire rubber durometer rating -- stability

In summary, the tire factory explained that the tire compound is unchanged, but the tires are getting harder after being transported by air. One month is not enough time to test the tire again.
gusss
Hello; I import karting tires from Taiwan , while reviewing a sample tire sent for inspection for our order, I noticed a change in spec. of Duro rating . We spec. them at 65-75D ,this sample came in at 60-65D ..here is the factory response=
Hi Gus,

The tire factory explained that the tire compound is no changed so far. But the tires are getting harder after by sea. One month transportation under the Sunshine and the tires are harder. This time, you received the tire which is by air and just several days to arrive to your hand. Please kindly understand it. The tire factory has no change for spec of the compound. Please don’t worry it. Thanks

Please some Poly engineer, give us some ammunition to call this "bull"
any help much appreciated , gus.. (www.vintagespeedtires.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you don't get a good answer here under materials, I'll move it to M.E. Automotive. Perhaps better answers there.

Can you read a date code, or other traceability mark on the tire that indicates its manufacture date? This would clarify the timeline. DOT (US Department of Transportation) requires this, and most race car tire manufacturers (Goodyear, Mickey Thompson, Hoosier, Firestone, Goodrich, etc.) do this as well. I'm not sure non-DOT imported tires are handled like this.

Tire temperature, UV exposure, O2, O3 can influence hardness over time, among other things. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50360a009?journalCode=iechad I'm having trouble finding a good article on vulcanized rubber oxidation that isn't behind a pay wall. Tires will degrade faster in the sun, or at elevated temperature, so there's at least a grain of truth there.

As far as ammo--I wonder how much sun those tires see while in a closed container in the middle of a container ship. More likely, the inventory control is poor, especially if they have no traceability or date codes on the tires. It seems unlikely the tires were cost-effectively transported by plane, but I could be wrong. You may be able to ask a few questions about the shipper to see if the story holds up, and learn if they are going to keep shipping by air in the future, or if it will be random as required to explain QC issues when they occur.:smile:

Wait a month and test again? Inventory is expensive, but you could easily use up that month arguing about it. And I would start looking for a different supplier.

Likes ChemAir
Thanks ChemAir; Yes these tires have a date code ..The sample tire airmailed to us was just made, normally we ocean ship, and that time line is about one month, this was airmailed for a OK to expedite production.. I find it hard to believe one month in a container would raise the Duro 10 points on Shore A scale..
These tires go on vintage racing karts, and because of earlier frame designs, a to soft compound will incur frame binding, and karts can flip over.. I've had other problems with this factory ,and usually with enough counter ammo they rescind. I'm not a Poly chem guy ,so I was looking for some good data to counter . Being such a niche market I'm limited for small production..thk/u. for your info and time ..gus..

1. What is a tire rubber durometer rating?

A tire rubber durometer rating is a measurement of the hardness or softness of a tire's rubber material. It is typically measured on a scale of 0 to 100, with higher numbers indicating a harder rubber and lower numbers indicating a softer rubber.

2. How is the durometer rating of a tire determined?

The durometer rating of a tire is determined by using a durometer gauge. This gauge has a small needle that is pressed into the surface of the tire to measure the depth of indentation. The deeper the indentation, the softer the tire and the lower the durometer rating.

3. What is the importance of a tire's durometer rating?

The durometer rating of a tire is important because it can affect the stability and performance of the tire. A tire with a higher durometer rating will be more stable and provide better traction, while a tire with a lower durometer rating may be more prone to wear and tear.

4. How does the durometer rating impact the stability of a tire?

The durometer rating directly impacts the stability of a tire because it affects the tire's grip on the road. A higher durometer rating means the tire will have a firmer grip, providing better stability and handling. A lower durometer rating may result in a less stable tire that is more prone to slipping or sliding.

5. Can the durometer rating of a tire change over time?

Yes, the durometer rating of a tire can change over time due to factors such as temperature, wear and tear, and aging of the rubber material. It is important to regularly check and maintain the durometer rating of tires to ensure optimal stability and performance.

Back