To find the amplitude of a mass on an elastic string

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
gnits
Messages
137
Reaction score
46
Homework Statement
To find the amplitude of a mass oscillating on an elastic string
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Could I please ask for help with the following:

18.JPG


It's the final part I am having problems with.

So at this point we know we have SHM of amplitude (5/4)L

Now, using x = a cos(nt) ----- where we now know that n = sqrt(4g/L)

we can find the time at which x has any value.

So for exmaple, when x first equals (5/4)L we have:

(5/4)L = (5/4)L * cos( sqrt(4g/L) t ) which leads to t = 0, as expected.

Now, to find when x first arrives at C is to find when x first has a value of -(5/4)L giving:

-(5/4)L = (5/4)L * cos( sqrt(4g/L) * t1 ) which leads to:

t1 = (PI/4)*sqrt(L/g)

Similarly, to find when x first equals L/4 (i.e. when the mass is first at B) we can use:

L/4 = (5/4)L * cos( sqrt(4g/L) * t2) which leads to:

t2 = sqrt(L/g) * arccos(1/5)

and so time taken to move from B to C is:

t1 - t2 = (1/2) * ((PI/2) - arccos(1/5)) * sqrt(L/g)

which is not quite the desired answer.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At ##t =0## the mass is at ##B##, which is not at an amplitude of ##5l/4##. I think you have to calculate where in the SHM cycle the motion starts.

Hint: you should be looking at motion of the form ##A\sin(\omega t + \phi)##.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion, that really helped. So I've almost get there but I have sign out, can you spot my error?

So I use ##x=A\sin(\omega t + \phi)##

And we have that ##A=\frac{5l}{4}## and ##\omega=\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}##

In order to have ##x=\frac{l}{4}## when t = 0 we need to have ##\phi=arcsin(\frac{1}{5})##

So to find time to C we need to solve:

##sin(\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}t+arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))=1##

which leads to:

##t=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\pi}{2}-arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))*\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}##

and I have a minus instead of a plus. Thanks for any help.
 
If ##x(0) = \frac l 4##, then what is ##x## when the mass is at ##C##?

In fact, perhaps think more carefully about taking ##x(0) = \frac l 4## in the first place!
 
I see, at C, ##x=-\frac{5l}{4}## (I had not used the negative)

This would lead to:

##sin(\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}t+arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))=-1##

and so

##\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}t+arcsin(\frac{1}{5})=-\frac{\pi}{2}##

and so:

##t=\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{\pi}{2}-arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))*\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}##

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm still off.
 
gnits said:
I see, at C, ##x=-\frac{5l}{4}## (I had not used the negative)

This would lead to:

##sin(\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}t+arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))=-1##

and so

##\sqrt{\frac{4g}{l}}t+arcsin(\frac{1}{5})=-\frac{\pi}{2}##

and so:

##t=\frac{1}{2}(-\frac{\pi}{2}-arcsin(\frac{1}{5}))*\sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}##

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm still off.

##x(0) = \frac l 4## doesn't fit with taking the ##\phi## you got. If you differentiate your equation you find that the mass is moving away from equilibrium at ##t =0##.

You could fix this by taking a different ##\phi## - note that more than one ##\phi## gives the same value of the trig functions. In any case, you need a different ##\phi## to get the correct position and velocity for the motion at ##t = 0##.

Taking ##x(0) = -\frac l 4## and ##C## as ##+\frac{5l}{4}## is perhaps the simplest approach.
 
OK, that's very helpful indeed. I had not been looking at the direction of the velocity. Thanks very much for all your help. I'll work through it all agian to be sure to understand it fully.