To what other graduate schools are you seeking admission?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question asked by different graduate programs about other schools the applicant is applying to. The purpose of this question is to gather statistical information and does not affect the decision of the admissions committee. It is recommended to answer truthfully and list all universities. The committee may view not answering or only listing one university as a negative indicator.
Roni1985
"To what other graduate schools are you seeking admission?"

I noticed that the different programs (Financial Engineering) ask this question, but I don't understand what the reason for asking the question is. Can the info influence the decision of the admissions committee ?
I think listing many or even any can really influence the decision because it shows how committed you are going to be in case they accept you.

People who applied (and got accepted) to any MS program in the US, how did you answer this question?

Roni.

Physics news on Phys.org

Roni1985 said:
I noticed that the different programs (Financial Engineering) ask this question, but I don't understand what the reason for asking the question is. Can the info influence the decision of the admissions committee ?

Not really. I think it's mostly so that they can gather statistical information about who their competitors are. We ask similar questions in job interviews. It doesn't affect the outcome of the interview, but if we notice that lots of people are apply to our competitor, we find out what they are doing.

People who applied (and got accepted) to any MS program in the US, how did you answer this question?

They ask what other programs you are applying to. You tell them what other programs you are applying to.

twofish-quant said:
Not really. I think it's mostly so that they can gather statistical information about who their competitors are. We ask similar questions in job interviews. It doesn't affect the outcome of the interview, but if we notice that lots of people are apply to our competitor, we find out what they are doing.

They ask what other programs you are applying to. You tell them what other programs you are applying to.

Thank you for your help, the information was very helpful.

Roni.

I wonder how the committee would respond to an answer like "I decline to answer this question for personal reasons" or something along those lines.

Not only do they want free market research, they want me to PAY them so they can conduct market research.

The other places I'm applying are none of their business.

Jack21222 said:
I wonder how the committee would respond to an answer like "I decline to answer this question for personal reasons" or something along those lines.

Very badly. If you really have a religious or moral reason not to answer, then that's fine, but I think you'd have to explain what that reason is.

Not only do they want free market research, they want me to PAY them so they can conduct market research.

Sure. But it's really a trivial thing in exchange for getting a grad school admission. If you strongly object to answering that question, then you will have a really tough time with the five million other things that they expect for you to do.

The other places I'm applying are none of their business.

They think it is, and they are giving you the admission.

Roni1985, don't give this question a second thought, seriously. Just answer the question truthfully and list ALL universities you are applying to. It's an innocent question, and like twofish-quant said, it's just that they want to know what other universities people are applying to. Them receiving feedback on these things can be used, for example, to improve the admissions process (say, if they have (a) serious competitor(s) who's giving out admissions decision earlier than they are, they might improve on that, as well, so as to not lose people they deem fit for their program to them). If you're only going to list the university you're applying to, it really won't make you look better, because either a) they're not going to believe it, and will be annoyed or just won't care (in which case you'll be no better off) or b) they will believe you and think you're stupid for applying to only one school.

As an anecdote, I applied for several Masters programs (not Science) last year in the UK, listed all of the universities I was applying to, and was not influenced negatively by that at all. And I actually found it fun filling out all fields they had available for that question :smile:

In a nutshell, don't be paranoid, it's not a trap :wink:

What is the purpose of asking about other graduate schools I am seeking admission to?

Admissions committees often ask this question to gain a better understanding of your overall goals and interests in pursuing a graduate degree. It also helps them gauge your level of competitiveness and commitment to the field.

Do I have to disclose all the graduate schools I am applying to?

Yes, it is important to be honest and transparent about your other applications. Admissions committees may check this information and it could affect their decision if they find out you were not truthful.

How should I answer this question if I am only applying to one graduate school?

If you are only applying to one graduate school, you can simply state that you are only applying to that particular school and explain why it is your top choice. This can demonstrate your strong interest in the program.

Should I mention other graduate schools that are similar to the one I am applying to?

It can be beneficial to mention other similar graduate schools as it shows that you have done your research and have a clear understanding of the field you are interested in. However, be sure to explain why the specific school you are interviewing with is your top choice.

Can mentioning other graduate schools hurt my chances of admission?

No, mentioning other graduate schools will not hurt your chances of admission. In fact, it can show that you have a strong interest and commitment to the field. Just be sure to explain why the school you are interviewing with is your top choice and how it aligns with your career goals.