Today I Learned

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Today I learned that Lagrange was Italian and that he lamented the execution of Lavoisier in France during the French Revolution with the quote:"It took them only an instant to cut off this head and a hundred years might not suffice to reproduce it's...brains."
  • #1,436
jim hardy said:
so probably i am diabetes prone

jim hardy said:
waking up at night with numb feet

Please at the soonest possible time tell this to your doctor and show him that chart.

BoB

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
jim hardy said:
i have tried to read about metabolism of sugar but the chemical names are ever sooo loooong and I'm bad with names anyway...i get lost.
Not everybody metabolizes sugar the same though.

i've been experimenting with my own blood glucose
Sounds like an interesting experiment.
I self-diagnosed as "hypoglycemic" about 30 years ago, based on what a doctor on TV said, regarding symptoms, and the cure.
Fixed me right up.
Someone about 10 years ago described the same symptoms, so I told him the story, and the cure.
He told me the next day, that I'd cured him.
Yay!

Ours apparently wasn't a dietary sugar problem, but a dietary protein problem.
cut out sugar almost entirely
I've been slowly cutting down on my salt for the last 15 years.
At one point, I was consuming so little salt in my regular diet, that I had constant cravings for "Cheetos".
I thought that was kind of ironic.
bought one of those meters and log morning readings on the fridge.
That sounds like fun.
Just finished googling the expense of the equipment required.
I would suggest that we should start a new thread, and publish our findings, but I think we'd get in trouble for that. :redface:
Slow steady progress i hope, or at least halt the decline.

old jim
:thumbup:

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,438
OmCheeto said:
That sounds like fun.
Just finished googling the expense of the equipment required.
I would suggest that we should start a new thread, and publish our findings, but I think we'd get in trouble for that. :redface:
meter is $9 at Walmart, Walgreens is comparable
about $15 more for test strips and a spring finger-pokey lance that's well worth it for it's almost painless...

old jim

Likes Pepper Mint and OmCheeto
  • #1,439
TIL that Lockheed began working on a jet fighter as early as 1939 - Lockheed L133. Nathan "Nate" Price was the principal architect under Clarence "Kelly" Johnson of P-38 and SR-71 fame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-133
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_J37

The video shows a German jet with a twin tail that flew first in September 1939. It looks like a Heinkel, or perhaps a Messerschmitt, but it looks like a design of the former.

Last edited:
Likes Hoophy and Pepper Mint
  • #1,440
Today (well, yesterday now) I learned what it's like to play a Broadwood piano from 1846, specifically this one, which is in "The Vyne", an old house near Basingstoke:
https://www.facebook.com/VyneNT/pho...4846597643271/858011557660101/?type=3&theater
Visitors to the house are allowed, or even encouraged, to play it. It has a very light and shallow touch (much lighter than any modern piano), but could play very fast (a feature of the "patent repetitive action"). It was a bit clangy and in need of tuning, but now I feel I have a much better understanding of the sort of piano that Chopin and Mendelssohn would have played.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,441
jim hardy said:
i've been experimenting with my own blood glucose

cut out sugar almost entirely.

Congratulations! I gave up most carbs five years ago; lost 60 pounds and regained my health and my life. And for the first time in my life I got my blood sugar under control [have an unusual form of metabolic syndrome]. I haven't had a piece of bread, pasta, potatoes, or other high-carb or sugar products in over five years. Normally I try to limit my carb intake to about 100 grams a day. The most amazing thing was all of the side effects - blood pressure returned to normal, cured a lifelong case of heartburn and heavy Rolaid use, and most of my joint pain has disappeared. I put myself on a heavy exercise routine and added a lot of muscle. For a guy my age I'm pretty buff now.

I was about a foot from the grave when I started this diet.

My favorite part is making the young guys at the gym look bad. :D

Oooh, almost forgot, I haven't been sick one day since I started this diet. I used to get sick twice a year like clockwork!

Last edited:
Likes edward, Sophia, Pepper Mint and 1 other person
  • #1,442
TIL about the tidal waves at Talbot Bay, Australia - David Attenborough - BBC

I'd never heard the place. I have visited Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy, another place for high tides, and watched as the tidal bore came in.

Likes mfb and OmCheeto
  • #1,443
Today I learned how to make sense of the structure of the opening bars of the slow movement of Sibelius's Symphony No 2.

After a 4/4 measure of timpani roll, there are 38 measures of slow 3/8 time (one beat per measure, the same beat as for the 4/4) with pizzicato double basses or cellos, which mostly sound fairly random and unstructured, then it goes back into 4/4 (really 12/8) for the mournful bassoon tune. I've always wondered whether there was some simple structure within the wandering pizzicato line to help me make sense of it.

Today I spotted that the first 26 of the 38 measures are in groups of 3, like 9/8 with 3 beats, starting on the second of 3, and the last 12 are ambiguous, fitting both the previous grouping of 3 and the following grouping of 4. If the opening 4/4 is treated like four more 3/8 measures, then the grouping by threes starts from the beginning, with the fourth beat of the first bar forming the first beat of the following group of three.

Likes edward and Pepper Mint
  • #1,445
TIL several new things related to the 2048 puzzle.
1. I learned the benefit of a method of doing redos taught to me by my 12 year old grandson a few weeks ago, combined with some additional techniques for exploiting the redo method. I have been experimenting with the method since I leaned it, and have discovered just how far I can take it, using 71 redos, during a session of 2-3 hours over 2 days. (See attached PNG file.)
2. I learned that the score can be (slightly over) estimated by the tiles shown. Each tile with face value N, other than the 2's and those 4s which were created as new tiles, represents an approximate value of log2(N) × N. The over estimate are the 4s that were created as new tiles and then combined to generate 8s, in addition to such tile still showing in the display.
3. For the tiles shown in the PNG, the (over)estimated score is 423,968. The actual score is 358,628. The difference of 38,340 represents that about 20% of the created new tiles were 4's rather than 2's.

Attachments

• 2048-160705-385628.png
    2048-160705-385628.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 394
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,446
TIL that a Doner kebab may be halal but not necessarily kosher. Some producers mix yoghurt in it to soften the meat. It doesn't help to avoid milky sauces, it's already in it. Mean, isn't it?

• #1,447
Buzz Bloom said:
Each tile with face value N, other than the 2's and those 4s which were created as new tiles, represents an approximate value of log2(N) × N.
I wrote the formula incorrectly. It should be: log2(N) × N / 2.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,448
Buzz Bloom said:
I wrote the formula incorrectly. It should be: log2(N) × N / 2.
One senior moment after another. It should be (log2(N)-1) × N.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
  • #1,449
Buzz Bloom said:
One senior moment after another. It should be (log2(N)-1) × N.
:thumbup::palm:

Likes Buzz Bloom
  • #1,450
TIL who is Fritz Hansgirg, father of heavy water production

Fritz Johann Hansgirg (1891–1949) was an Austrian electrochemist and metallurgist who in 1928 invented the carbothermic magnesium reduction process (magnesium, like calcium, can be used to reduce uranium oxide to pure uranium metal for use in nuclear weapons), similar to the Pidgeon process. In 1934, he left Austria for the Empire of Japan where he worked with industrialist Shitagau Noguchi to set up a magnesium plant and further helped the Japanese build a pilot plant[in N Korea i think - jh] to produce heavy water by the Combined Electrolysis Catalytic Exchange (CECE)[1] he invented. Coming to the United States in 1940, he worked with American industrialist Henry J. Kaiser to design a magnesium plant in California, but at the outbreak of World War II, Hansgirg was arrested by the FBI on a Presidential warrant and interned for "the duration of the war." After the war, the Soviet Union captured Hansgirg's plants in northern Korea, using the plants' processes and equipment for their atomic bomb project against the United States, likewise, using them in the Manhattan Project,[clarification needed] the exact details of which still remain classified in both the United States and Russia.

i hope to find this book
heavywater_streiffer.jpg

Likes Pepper Mint, 1oldman2 and OmCheeto
  • #1,451
TIL that Hepatitis outstrips AIDS, TB as killer: report
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hepatitis-outstrips-aids-tb-killer-report-224232235.html

and there are five main types, known as A, B, C, D and E.

According to the World Health Organization, types A and E are typically transmitted via contaminated food or water, while B, C and D usually occur from contact with body fluids of an infected person.

An estimated 95 percent of people are unaware of their infection, though treating hepatitis B and C can prevent the development of chronic liver disease.

Ninety-six percent of hepatitis deaths counted in the review were caused by types B and C, said the researchers. Most hepatitis deaths occurred in east and south Asia.
Many health problems are preventable, but then one cannot prevent many folks doing things that expose them to viruses. Then there are governments that fail to provide appropriate sanitation.

Likes Pepper Mint
  • #1,452
Today I learned of a scheme that has assigned an address to every 3m-square chunk of the Earth's surface. No, it's not latitude and longitude numbers. It's three words separated by dots. For example, the front door of probably the most famous address in the United States is at:

length.grab.torch

Plug it into the search box at https://map.what3words.com/ and see where it takes you. Zoom in and you can see the 3m grid.

Likes Sophia, ProfuselyQuarky, OmCheeto and 1 other person
  • #1,453
jtbell said:
Today I learned of a scheme that has assigned an address to every 3m-square chunk of the Earth's surface. No, it's not latitude and longitude numbers. It's three words separated by dots. For example, the front door of probably the most famous address in the United States is at:

length.grab.torch

Plug it into the search box at https://map.what3words.com/ and see where it takes you. Zoom in and you can see the 3m grid.
Coincidentally, I learned about this Sunday from the Style Invitational. :oldtongue:

• #1,454
This needs about 38,000 words. You have to be careful - length.grab.torch is in Washington DC, while lengths.grab.torch is in Colorado. Get a letter wrong and you are completely lost.

busy.busy.busy is near London.

collect.questions.profit doesn't exist :(.
profit.profit.profit is in Poland.

• #1,455
If found the IPU in Brazil's north and the FSM in the Baker Street in London. Funny, I've been there once but can't remember to have met FSM.

• #1,456
So I'm currently at roses.spot.just but the other side of this room is photos.fully.boot. Weird.

• #1,457
make.america.great doesn't go anywhere. Not even the Trump Tower. The Donald will be furious! :mad:

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
  • #1,458
jtbell said:
Not even the Trump Tower.
Trump Tower is occurs.feared.took :biggrin:

And I live at on a street that starts with the word kebabs. :woot:

Likes Sophia
  • #1,459
physics.is.fun wasn't found. Nor was i.like.physics.

Philistines.

But physics.forums.good is about halfway between Melbourne and Sydney.

Likes 1oldman2, mfb, Borg and 1 other person
  • #1,460
Belong.bench.fool points to the Houses of Parliament. As does rushed.woven.exchanges - oh what tangled webs we weave. And brief.ruins.shaped, although I'm not sure that "brief" is appropriate, and stored.voter.riots. And handle.kicked.milk, for those of us who remember the Milk Snatcher. Also quite.epic.sheets, although that's not quite how I'd spell the last word, and expect.mile.lies and kind.cuts.regime.

This is awesome.

Last edited:
  • #1,461
Ibix said:
physics.is.fun wasn't found. Nor was i.like.physics.

Philistines.

But physics.forums.good is about halfway between Melbourne and Sydney.
I.love.math didn't get anywhere, either ...

Philistines.

• #1,462
I'm gone... rainbow.gold.luck is too close ... I'll be there before dawn ...

Likes Ibix
  • #1,463
So if you want an easy to remember three words why is the plural a thing? There are lots of other words that would make it even uniquer.

BoB

PS: the spell check knows uniquer. That's not a real word.

• #1,464
Finally an answer to the question I was wondering about for years: Do Americans really wear shoes inside?
I never knew if it was real or only in movies.

Likes beamie564, ProfuselyQuarky and Pepper Mint
  • #1,465
Sophia said:
Finally an answer to the question I was wondering about for years: Do Americans really wear shoes inside?
Ew :eek:, I've hardly seen anybody wear shoes in their house...that's like...Okay, you wear your shoes outside stepping on who knows what and then you bring it into the house? Especially what if you have carpet??

I fear for the cleanliness of the homes that the people that woman knows live in.

**Alright, fine, I have seen it at times, but whenever I do, the family owns dogs, so their house is already pretty dirty.

Likes Sophia
  • #1,466
Here in the UK, I think it's fairly normal to wear shoes in the house, although in my case they are usually lightweight shoes or sandals, not very suitable for outdoors.

(a) When I drive to the office, school or shops, I only walk on tarmac to get to and from the car, so there's little need to change shoes.
(b) We have doormats just inside each external door on which to wipe dirty feet.
(c) For gardening, going for a walk in the woods or going out in potentially bad weather, I put on sturdier and more weatherproof "outdoor" shoes or even boots. When I get home, I take them off at the door and change back into my "normal" lightweight shoes (or sometimes sandals or slippers, or even "slipper-socks", which are thick socks with non-slip ribs on the sole to prevent slipping on tiled floors as in our kitchen or similar).

I have injured my toes several times around the house when not wearing shoes, so I rarely go without.

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
  • #1,467
Sophia said:
I never knew if it was real or only in movies.

Nine minutes for "we wear shoes inside"? o0)

I never wear shoes in the house unless I have company. And even then, I always tell people to kick off their shoes and make themselves at home. So unless it is something really formal, I'm in socks or barefoot.

Likes Sophia and Pepper Mint
  • #1,468
Likes Sophia, ProfuselyQuarky, beamie564 and 2 others
  • #1,469
Ivan Seeking said:
Nine minutes for "we wear shoes inside"? o0)
You saved 9 minutes of my time. Thanks!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, Pepper Mint and fresh_42
  • #1,470
Garlic said:
Today I learned that there exists something named fairy ring, which is a naturally occurring ring of mushrooms. Mushrooms sometimes grow in rings! :oldsurprised:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring

Fairy_ring_on_a_suburban_lawn_100_1851.jpg

Fascinating. I wonder if the cause of this Fairy Ring fungal characteristic is related to that of ringworm.