Tokamak question: What happens when you shine a laser on the plasma?

In summary, the participants discussed the potential effects of firing a laser pointer through a viewing window of a plasma fusion reactor. They concluded that the magnetic field would have no effect, and the photons would most likely interact with the plasma ions, electrons, atoms, or molecules, depending on the temperature. Some suggested sources for further reading on laser interferometry and photon scattering in plasma diagnostics were also shared.
Fishpig
TL;DR Summary
Pointing a laser into a tokamak whilst it's running
I really enjoy learning strange facts and while i would never assume to be a "Smart" person i do have the power to ask.

So with a plasma fusion reactor like the tokamak or any other they have a viewing window to see the plasma bound in the toroidal magnetic field so what would happen if you were to point a laser pointer through the window and fire excited photons into the plasma?
Would you see them passing through the plasma, would they just be destroyed, would they be instantly adhered or bounced back by the magnetic field?
Cheers guys and girls

Engineering news on Phys.org
Magnetic field has no effect. Photons most likely would interact with plasma ions.

Likes Fishpig
so interacting with the plasma ions would it be visible like a laser through cloud vapor?

Last edited:
Likes Fishpig
Thank you Astronuc, As high as most of that information went above my head it was a very interesting read and answered my question.
Thank you

Likes berkeman

1. What is a tokamak?

A tokamak is a device used to generate and contain plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of highly charged particles. It is often used in experiments related to nuclear fusion.

2. How does a tokamak work?

A tokamak works by using strong magnetic fields to confine and control the plasma, which is heated to extremely high temperatures using a variety of methods, such as injecting high-energy particles or using powerful lasers.

3. What happens when you shine a laser on the plasma in a tokamak?

When a laser is shined on the plasma in a tokamak, it adds energy to the system and can increase the temperature and density of the plasma. This can help initiate and sustain nuclear fusion reactions.

4. What are the potential applications of tokamaks?

Tokamaks have the potential to be used as a source of clean and sustainable energy through nuclear fusion reactions. They can also be used for research purposes, such as studying plasma physics and high-energy physics.

5. What are the challenges in using tokamaks for fusion energy?

Some of the challenges in using tokamaks for fusion energy include finding ways to sustain and control the extremely high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion reactions, as well as developing materials that can withstand the intense conditions inside the tokamak.