How is current induced in the plasma in a tokamak?

In summary, the tokamak uses a solenoid placed vertically in the center to induce a current in the plasma, acting as a transformer. The changing magnetic field from the solenoid creates a current in the plasma, similar to how a transformer works. This is important in nuclear fusion energy production.
Jan Berkhout
For a Year 12 Assignment I have to do a seminar on how magnetic fields are involved with a certain topic. I chose nuclear fusion energy production and specifically the tokamak. I understand that a toroidal magnetic field is created when a current is sent through a solenoid wrapped in a torus. And that in nuclear fusion, this field forces the plasma to move in circular motion around the tokamak. But, in a tokamak, from my understanding, another solenoid is placed vertically in the center of the tokamak. Apparently sending a current through this solenoid induces a current in the plasma. How does it do this? Is it because the magnetic field generated from the center solenoid interacts with the toroidal magnetic field and changes its strength, therefore creating a current in the wire? How is current induced in the plasma in a tokamak?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jan Berkhout said:
For a Year 12 Assignment I have to do a seminar on how magnetic fields are involved with a certain topic. I chose nuclear fusion energy production and specifically the tokamak. I understand that a toroidal magnetic field is created when a current is sent through a solenoid wrapped in a torus. And that in nuclear fusion, this field forces the plasma to move in circular motion around the tokamak. But, in a tokamak, from my understanding, another solenoid is placed vertically in the center of the tokamak. Apparently sending a current through this solenoid induces a current in the plasma. How does it do this? Is it because the magnetic field generated from the center solenoid interacts with the toroidal magnetic field and changes its strength, therefore creating a current in the wire? How is current induced in the plasma in a tokamak?

It is basically just a transformer. Are you familiar with how a transformer works? The changing current in the primary winding creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the secondary winding. A Tokamak works the same way. A changing current (usually just a linear ramp) is sent through the primary solenoid, which creates a magnetic field which increases with time. The plasma acts as the secondary winding, so the changing magnetic field induces a current to flow in the plasma.

Likes Jan Berkhout
phyzguy said:
It is basically just a transformer. Are you familiar with how a transformer works? The changing current in the primary winding creates a changing magnetic field, which induces a current in the secondary winding. A Tokamak works the same way. A changing current (usually just a linear ramp) is sent through the primary solenoid, which creates a magnetic field which increases with time. The plasma acts as the secondary winding, so the changing magnetic field induces a current to flow in the plasma.
Thank you! This is a great help!

1. What is a tokamak and how does it work?

A tokamak is a fusion reactor that uses a magnetic field to confine plasma (a superheated gas of charged particles) in a donut-shaped chamber. The plasma is heated to extreme temperatures, causing the atoms to collide and fuse, releasing large amounts of energy.

2. How is the plasma heated in a tokamak?

The plasma in a tokamak is heated using a variety of methods, including radio frequency waves, neutral beam injection, and ohmic heating. These methods provide energy to the plasma, increasing its temperature and keeping it confined within the magnetic field.

3. What is current induction and how is it induced in a tokamak?

Current induction is the process of creating an electric current in a plasma. In a tokamak, this is achieved by using a series of magnetic coils to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the plasma, causing it to rotate and generate an electric current.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of current induction in a tokamak?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of current induction in a tokamak, including the strength and configuration of the magnetic field, the temperature and density of the plasma, and the presence of impurities in the plasma. Additionally, the design and materials of the tokamak itself can impact the efficiency of current induction.

5. How is current induced in a tokamak used to generate energy?

The induced current in a tokamak is used to generate energy through the process of fusion. As the plasma particles collide and fuse, they release large amounts of energy in the form of heat. This heat is then converted into electricity, which can be used to power homes and businesses.