Tolerence measurement +0.02 to + 0.05

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning and use of tolerances in fabrication drawings. The nominal value is the desired size, and the tolerance provides an acceptable range for inspection. It is generally recommended to aim for the middle of the tolerance for more precise results. Tolerances are important for ensuring that parts fit together correctly and can be used for different types of fits, such as press fit or non-interference fit.
raynee
Hi,

I am new here. I would like to know if anyone can explain to me the meaning of +0.02 to +0.05 in a fabrication drawing.Does this part needs to be fabricated in this range of tolerence or,i should follow the maximum value.

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There should be a nominal value associated with the tolerance. That's the value you should try to hit, but the tolerance just gives the acceptable range for inspection not to reject the part.

Likes jack action
You should aim for the middle of the tolerance, or size +0.035. That then gives you a tolerance of ±0.015.

So if the nominal is 10.00, aim for 10.035 and that comes with a tolerance of ±0.015.

Shaft and hole diameters are commonly specified like this. Specifying (e.g) 10.00 as the nominal maintains the design intent, while the shaft will normally a be negative tolerance and the hole a positive one, and that makes it work in the real world.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
Tolerances can be used to ensure parts mate correctly.

For example, if you have a machined bore hole which is designed to accept a shaft through it, you could put a tolerance on both items. The Bore hole say 100mm diameter, you could put a tolerance on of your +0.02 +0.05.
For the shaft, you could say 100mm diameter - 0.02 -0.05. What this is doing is to ensure that the shaft will fit in the bore. If you had no tolerance, the bore & the shaft could have an identical diameter, and wouldn't fit.

Yeah, I think I gave some bad advice there. I don't deal much with double plus tolerances like that, so I guess I would make try to build it to the middle of the tolerance zone.

A "press fit" requires the shaft be specified oversize compared with the nominal bore size.
A non-interference or a lubricated fit, requires the bore be specified oversize compared with the nominal shaft size.

1. What is tolerance measurement?

Tolerance measurement is the process of determining the acceptable range of variation for a particular measurement or dimension. It is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing to ensure that products meet specific standards and specifications.

2. What is the range of tolerance for +0.02 to +0.05?

The range of tolerance for +0.02 to +0.05 is 0.03. This means that a measurement within this range (+0.02 to +0.05) is considered acceptable.

3. How is tolerance measurement performed?

Tolerance measurement is typically performed using precision instruments such as calipers, micrometers, or gauges. These instruments are used to measure the dimensions of an object and determine if it falls within the specified tolerance range.

4. Why is tolerance measurement important?

Tolerance measurement is important because it ensures that products are manufactured to meet specific standards and specifications. This helps to maintain consistency and quality in the production process and ensures that products function as intended.

5. What happens if a measurement falls outside of the tolerance range?

If a measurement falls outside of the tolerance range, it is considered to be out of tolerance and may need to be corrected. This could involve adjusting machinery, reworking the product, or scrapping it altogether, depending on the severity of the measurement error.