Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tony Snow comments on Bush's bipartisan nature

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    Quite possibly one of his most disingenuous statements ever.

"Bush wants to go back to the Texas model. He's always reached out. He's been trying over the last couple of years with limited success," Snow said."

How he can make a claim like that with a straight face is beyond me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind he also mentioned how Bush was disappointed, because he thought the republicans had a solid game plan and could hold onto the house.

You know he's been practicing these lines for a month

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I get it. Snow is auditioning for his next job -

Stand-up Comedian. :rofl:

But his sarcasm is too subtle, most Americans won't get it. :biggrin:

5. Nov 8, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061101/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush

I don't know why anyone has believed anything he has said for last six+ years.

6. Nov 8, 2006 #5

turbo

Gold Member

If Bush has any brains and any loyalty to his party, he should ditch Cheney and pardon him so that he cannot be prosecuted for his misdeeds. That way, if Bush gets impeached, Cheney is in the clear, the new VP becomes president and Nancy Pelosi only succeeds to VP, where she can effectively be shut out of the process. Is that sufficiently Rovian?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  7. Nov 8, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't the new President simply appoint a new VP. I think the speaker can succeed only to the office of President.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bush is more likely to get an immigration bill more to his liking now, though. Something probably a little more sensible than a fence. The Republican House was the major obstacle, since the Senate bill was at least a start.

I'm at a little bit of a loss to figure out any other goals whose chances have improved. Perhaps there's a little bit better of a chance of getting something on education to salvage his No Child Left Behind program; something close enough to be called a revision to his plan rather than a complete scrapping.

Hard to say with only two years left. I think the best thing that happened to Clinton was a Republican congress, but that happened only two years into Clinton's term - he had to adjust or be a one term president.

9. Nov 8, 2006 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You missed a Constitutional Amendment somewhere along the way. This happened before.

Agnew resigned. Nixon appointed a new VP in Ford. Nixon resigned. Ford became President and appointed Rockefeller as VP.

10. Nov 8, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How about Cheney resigns and Rice becomes VP.

Then Bush resigns and Rice become Pres, and Pelosi VP. I wonder what Hillary would think. :rolleyes:

11. Nov 8, 2006 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm speechless. :rofl: :rofl:

12. Nov 8, 2006 #11

turbo

Gold Member

That would allow Bush to get a pardon, too, although that wouldn't carry much weight with the Hague.

13. Nov 13, 2006 #12

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aw, c'mon...he did ASK if they were with him or against him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?