What are the top 10 emerging diseases in the US and worldwide?

• Thread starter vitaly
  • Start date
In summary: Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis is another emerging disease that is on the rise due to the obesity epidemic.
vitaly
Hi, I'm trying to find the top 10 emerging diseases in the US and the top 10 worldwide. I've found lists of many diseases, including AIDS, SARS, etc., but I haven't been able to isolate the top 10 for either category.

Does anybody know a site that provides a definite list for each category?

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Biology news on Phys.org
emerging?

AIDS is by no means an emerging disease

Why isn't it? The definition in my microbiology book is a disease 1) that has been recently identified, 2) that is reemerging and becoming more common, or 3) that is changing and becoming resistant to drugs.

Am I misunderstanding the definition?

Well I am not very knowledgeable on this subject but as far as that definition goes... i can offer this.

What is "recently" defined as. AIDS has been known for 5+ decades at the least. I also don't think "re-emerging" fits because I don't think it has ever "died down" for any amount of time and I don't think it is becoming resistant to drugs (hell its always been resistant to drugs for the most part i think).

You made a good point. AIDS has been known for a long time. I have a brand new textbook (recently published), and it states this: "SARS, AIDS, hepatitis C, and viral encepalitis are examples of recently identified diseases that cause sever mortality and morbidity and are currently on the rise." Thus, they are emerging.

My guess then is that it is resistant to drugs (or, like you said, has always been).

Pengwuino said:
AIDS has been known for 5+ decades at the least.
"The official date for the beginning of the AIDS epidemic is marked as June 18, 1981... In 1982, the CDC introduced the term AIDS to describe the newly recognized syndrome."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aids

1981?

What are those stupid demonstrations that i swear were from the 60's that were "protesting AIDS"? The video quality looked like the 60's... the people looked like hippies... what's going on here! :D

If AIDs was around in the 60's the love generation would not have happened.It was the 70's that places like Fire Island NY first saw people becoming ill, but they didn't know why.

Although they traced the onset of the disease back to the 50's, the epidemic took off in the 70's and was medically identified in the 80's. That is when the connection to retroviruses was discovered.

[sidebar] Hawking might argue that computer viruses should be included in the list. :biggrin:[/sidebar]

vitaly said:
Hi, I'm trying to find the top 10 emerging diseases in the US and the top 10 worldwide. I've found lists of many diseases, including AIDS, SARS, etc., but I haven't been able to isolate the top 10 for either category.

Does anybody know a site that provides a definite list for each category?

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

chronic active hepatits c, http://www.txtwriter.com/Onscience/Articles/hepatitisC.html

http://www.mihivnews.com/features/hepatitis_c.htm

It will make the AIDS epidemic look paltry by numbers in the near future

Another emerging disease that I can think of is NASH (non alcoholic steatohepatitis) of which 10% will progress to cirrosis. Also a burgeoning disease thanks to the obesity epidemic.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the top 10 emerging diseases?

The top 10 emerging diseases are diseases that have recently appeared or are rapidly spreading in a population. These diseases are considered emerging because they have either never been seen before, have re-emerged after being under control, or have increased in frequency or geographic range.

How are emerging diseases identified and tracked?

Emerging diseases are identified and tracked through surveillance systems, which involve collecting and analyzing data on disease outbreaks and trends. This can include monitoring symptoms, conducting laboratory tests, and tracking the spread of the disease in different populations.

What factors contribute to the emergence of new diseases?

There are several factors that can contribute to the emergence of new diseases, including changes in land use, climate change, increased travel, population growth and urbanization, and changes in human behaviors and practices. These changes can create new opportunities for disease-causing agents to spread and infect humans.

How are emerging diseases treated and prevented?

Treatment and prevention of emerging diseases often involve a combination of approaches, including early detection and diagnosis, isolation and quarantine of infected individuals, vaccination, and public health interventions such as promoting hygiene and sanitation. Research and development of new treatments and vaccines are also crucial in addressing emerging diseases.

What is being done to address the threat of emerging diseases?

To address the threat of emerging diseases, there are global efforts in place to strengthen surveillance and response systems, improve public health infrastructure, and increase research and development of treatments and vaccines. Additionally, international collaborations and partnerships are being established to share information and resources in order to better prepare for and respond to emerging disease outbreaks.