Multinomial Expansion: Solve (Σ^m_i x(i) Σ^i_j x(i,j))^n

• Thread starter nikozm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the formula expressed in terms of a straightforward multinomial expansion is (Σ^{m}_{i=0}x^i*Σ^{i}_{j=0}y^j)^n, where x and y are nonnegative real numbers, m and n are nonnegative integers, and the y sum is \frac{1-y^{i+1}}{1-y} and the i sum is (\frac{f(x)-yf(xy)}{1-y})^n\ where\ f(u)=\frac{1-u^{m+1}}{1-u}.
nikozm
Hi,

I would like to express the following formula in terms of a straightforward multinomial expansion:

(Σ^{m}_{i=0}x(i)*Σ^{i}_{j=0}x(i,j))^n

Any help would be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you explain the notation? What is $x(i)$, are you multiplying the two sums?

Ok, I redifine the expression:

(Σ^{m}_{i=0}x^i*Σ^{i}_{j=0}y^j)^n, where x,y are nonnegative real numbers and m,n are nonnegative integers

[itex](Σ^{m}_{i=0}x^i*Σ^{i}_{j=0}y^j)^n[/itex]

It is easier to read as latex. I don't understand what you are looking for. My guess:

y sum is [itex]\frac{1-y^{i+1}}{1-y}[/itex]

You can now get i sum to get [itex](\frac{f(x)-yf(xy)}{1-y})^n\ where\ f(u)=\frac{1-u^{m+1}}{1-u}[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is multinomial expansion?

Multinomial expansion is a mathematical technique used to expand a binomial expression raised to a power into a series of terms. It is an extension of the binomial theorem and is used to solve problems involving the multiplication of multiple variables.

2. What is the formula for multinomial expansion?

The general formula for multinomial expansion is (a+b+c+...)^n = Σ_nC_k * a^(n-k) * b^k * c^(n-k) * ..., where n is the power, a, b, c, etc. are the variables, and nC_k represents the combination of n items taken k at a time.

3. How do you solve a multinomial expansion problem?

To solve a multinomial expansion problem, first identify the variables and their corresponding powers. Then, use the formula (mentioned in question 2) to find the coefficients for each term. Finally, simplify the expression by multiplying the coefficients with their respective terms.

4. What is the purpose of multinomial expansion?

Multinomial expansion is used to solve problems in mathematics and science that involve the multiplication of multiple variables. It is also used in statistics and probability to calculate the outcomes of events with multiple possible outcomes.

5. Why is multinomial expansion important in scientific research?

Multinomial expansion is important in scientific research as it allows scientists to solve complex problems involving multiple variables. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different variables and their impact on the overall outcome of a system or experiment.