1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topics and books - Intro. Linear Algebra & Differentl. Equatns

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The courses called "Introductory Linear Algebra & Differential Equations" are potentially
    diluted too much in order to form into a one-semester course; the one which often follows
    the third semester of Calculus. This becomes a terminal Math course for students who will
    usually not go further with Math, and so some topics are given far less treatment in the
    effort to help the students more comfortably earn their credit.

Since these combination courses de-emphasize so many topics, could anyone tell us exactly
    which topics need to be well developed for this kind of combination course, especially in
    regard to the Linear Algebra portion of the course? Also, which textbooks, by author and
    title, are some of the best ones to use for these combination Linear Algebra & Differential
    Equation courses? (I gave away my book many many years ago, having no further use for it at
    the time, and I do not remember its title or authors)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I believe that the key point of such a course is to develop the
    methods for solving simple ODEs with constant coefficients
    ... effectively turning these differential equations into algebraic equations.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3

Vid

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0130457949/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is the book they use for such a course where I am. I didn't take it so I don't have anything to say. Judging from the reviews, it seems everyone either really liked it or really hated it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?