1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topological sigma model, Euler Lagrange equations

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My question refers to the paper "Topological Sigma Models" by Edward Witten, which is available on the web after a quick google search. I am not allowed to include links in my posts, yet. I want to know how to get from equation (2.14) to (2.15).
    We consider a theory of maps from a Riemann surface [itex]\Sigma[/itex] with complex structure [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] to a Riemannian manifold [itex]M[/itex] with an almost complex structure [itex]J[/itex]. [itex]h[/itex] is the metric on [itex]\Sigma[/itex], [itex]g[/itex] the metric on [itex]M[/itex].
    The map [itex]\phi:\Sigma \to M[/itex] is locally described by functions [itex]u^i(\sigma)[/itex]. [itex]H^{\alpha i}[/itex] is a commuting field ([itex]\alpha = 1,2[/itex] is the tangent index to [itex]\Sigma[/itex] and [itex]i=1,\ldots,n[/itex] runs over a basis of [itex]\phi^*(T)[/itex], which is the pullback of the tangent bundle of [itex]T[/itex] to [itex]M[/itex]). [itex]H^{\alpha i}[/itex] obeys [itex]H^{\alpha i}=\varepsilon^\alpha{}_\beta {J^i}{}_j H^{\beta j}[/itex].
    We consider the Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=\int d^2\sigma(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H^\alpha_i \partial_\alpha u^i + (\text{terms independent of H}))[/itex].
    [itex]H[/itex] is a non-propagating field, since the Lagrangian does not depend on its derivative.
    Using the Euler-Lagrange equations I want to show: [itex]H^i_\alpha=\partial_\alpha u^i \epsilon_{\alpha\beta}J^i{}_j\partial^\beta u^j[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\mathcal{L}=\int d^2\sigma(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H^\alpha_i \partial_\alpha u^i + (\text{terms independent of H}))[/itex]
    [itex]H^{\alpha i}=\varepsilon^\alpha{}_\beta {J^i}{}_j H^{\beta j}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}=0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] does not depend on the derivative of [itex]H[/itex], the Euler Lagrange equations simply state [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}=0[/itex]. I tried to evaluate this:
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}\left(\int d^2s(-\frac{1}{4}H^{\beta j}(s)H_{\beta j}(s) + H^\beta_j(s) \partial_\beta u^j(s))\right)[/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{\partial}{\partial H^\alpha_i(\sigma)}\left(\int d^2s(-\frac{1}{4}h_{\beta\gamma}g^{jk}H^{\beta}_k(s) H^{\gamma}_j(s)+ \epsilon^\beta{}_\gamma J_j{}^k H^\gamma_k(s) \partial_\beta u^j(s))\right)[/itex] where the second equation of the realtions above is used
    [itex]=-\frac{1}{4}h_{\beta\gamma}g^{jk}(h^{\beta\alpha} g_{ik} H^{\gamma}_{j}(\sigma) + H^{\beta}_{k}(\sigma) h^{\alpha\gamma} g_{jk}) + \varepsilon^\beta{}_\gamma J_j{}^k h^{\alpha\gamma} g_{ik} \partial_\beta u^{j}(\sigma)[/itex]
    [itex]=-\frac{1}{2}H^\alpha_i+\varepsilon^{\beta\alpha}J_{ji}\partial_\beta u^j(\sigma)[/itex]

Unfortunately, that is not really close to the expression that I am looking for. Can someone find mistakes? I appreciate any help.

Best regards, physicus

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the constraint to write

$$-\frac{1}{4} H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + H_{\alpha i} \partial^\alpha u^i
    =- \frac{1}{4} H^{\alpha i}H_{\alpha i} + \frac{1}{2} H_{\alpha i} \partial^\alpha u^i
    - \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{\beta\alpha} {J^i}_jH_{\alpha i} \partial^\beta u^j .$$

Note that the sign of the 3rd term changes when you transpose the indices on ##\epsilon_{\beta\alpha}## after computing the variation.

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook