Topology: Hausdorff Spaces

• Thread starter steelphantom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary: Maybe you don't quite understand it. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for the gap in the proof. You have that f^(-1)(U) and f^(-1)(V) are both open neighborhoods of x. What about their intersection? Is it also an open neighborhood of x? If so, then can you show that if z is an element of the intersection, then f(z)!=g(z)? That would mean f!=g is open.No, there is not an open neighborhood of x that contains both f(x) and g(x).
steelphantom

Homework Statement

Let X be a topological space, Y a Hausdorff space, and let f:X -> Y and g:X -> Y be continuous. Show that {x [tex]\in[/tex] X : f(x) = g(x)} is closed. Hence if f(x) = g(x) for all x in a dense subset of X, then f = g.

Homework Equations

Y is Hausdorff => for every x, y in Y with x != y, there exist disjoint open sets U, V with x in U and y in V.
f continuous iff f-1(V) is open in X whenever V is open in Y, iff f-1(F) is closed whenever F is closed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I could show the set is closed by proving that its complement is open, but do I want to take that route? The complement is {x in X : f(x) != g(x)}. So is this itself a Hausdorff space? I'm not sure if this is the right way to go with this, or even if it's correct. Thanks, as always, for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question "is this itself a Hausdorff space" is meaningless. It is not a space at all- it is a subset of a topological space. (You can make it a topological space by using the "inherited" topology but surely that's not what you want to do. You want to show that it is closed in X but every set is closed in its own inherited topology.) In any case, the set of all {x| f(x)= g(x)} or {x| f(x)!= g(x)} is a subset of X, not Y, and you are not given that X is hausdorff.

Yes. Show {x:f(x)!=g(x)} is open. Start by using that f(x) and g(x) are in Y and Y is Hausdorff.

Dick said:
Yes. Show {x:f(x)!=g(x)} is open. Start by using that f(x) and g(x) are in Y and Y is Hausdorff.

Ok, if I use that fact, then if f(x) != g(x), there exist subsets U, V disjoint and open with f(x) in U and g(x) in V. Since f is continuous, f-1(U) is open in X (because U is open in Y). Similarly, g-1(V) is open in X (because V is open in Y). Thus {x in X | f(x) != g(x)} is open, and it's complement, {x in X | f(x) = g(x)} is closed.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

The conclusion is correct. You didn't state exactly why this means that x has a open neighborhood where f!=g. I understand it and I think you understand it. You might just want to be a little more explicit.

Dick said:
The conclusion is correct. You didn't state exactly why this means that x has a open neighborhood where f!=g. I understand it and I think you understand it. You might just want to be a little more explicit.

Is it basically by definition? Since f is continuous, f-1(N) is a neighborhood of x for every neighborhood N of f(x). Maybe I don't understand it, heh.

steelphantom said:
Is it basically by definition? Since f is continuous, f-1(N) is a neighborhood of x for every neighborhood N of f(x). Maybe I don't understand it, heh.

Maybe you don't quite understand it. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt for the gap in the proof. You have that f^(-1)(U) and f^(-1)(V) are both open neighborhoods of x. What about their intersection? Is it also an open neighborhood of x? If so, then can you show that if z is an element of the intersection, then f(z)!=g(z)? That would mean f!=g is open.

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a type of topological space in which any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that for any two points x and y in the space, there exist open sets U and V such that x is in U, y is in V, and U and V do not overlap.

2. How is a Hausdorff space different from other topological spaces?

Unlike other topological spaces, a Hausdorff space satisfies the Hausdorff separation axiom, which requires that any two distinct points can be separated by disjoint neighborhoods. This property is useful in many mathematical proofs and allows for a more refined understanding of the topological properties of a space.

3. What are some examples of Hausdorff spaces?

Examples of Hausdorff spaces include Euclidean spaces, metric spaces, and topological manifolds. Other common examples include the real numbers with the standard topology, the n-dimensional Euclidean space, and the Cantor set.

4. How are Hausdorff spaces used in mathematics?

Hausdorff spaces are used in various areas of mathematics, including topology, functional analysis, and algebraic geometry. They are also important in the study of general topological spaces, as many properties and theorems about these spaces can be proven by first considering their behavior in Hausdorff spaces.

5. Can a non-Hausdorff space be made into a Hausdorff space?

Yes, it is possible to topologize a non-Hausdorff space in such a way that it becomes a Hausdorff space. This process, known as the Hausdorffication of a space, involves taking the original space and adding new points and open sets to satisfy the Hausdorff separation axiom. However, this process is not always unique and may result in a space that is not homeomorphic to the original non-Hausdorff space.