Topology of Aharonov Bohm Effect - Lewis Ryder's QFT book.

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Qft Topology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
maverick280857
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
5
Hi,

I am reading through Section 3.4 of Lewis Ryder's QFT book, where he makes the statement,

The configuration space of the Bohm-Aharonov experiment is the plane [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with a hole in, and this is topologically, the direct product of the line [itex]\mathbb{R}^1[/itex] and the circle [itex]S^1[/itex]: [itex]\mathbb{R}^1 \times \mathbb{S}^1[/itex].

This makes some sense intuitively, but can someone please explain this direct product equivalence to me as I do not have a firm background in topology (unfortunately, I need some of it for a project so I am reading it as I go along -- a bad idea, but I have no time :().

Specifically, how does this direct product come about?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the plane in polar coordinates: [itex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2[/itex]. If you remove the point r=0 then you can cover the the remaining space with the coordinates [itex]-\infty < u < \infty[/itex] ([itex]r = e^u[/itex]) and [itex]\theta[/itex]. The metric is then [itex]ds^2 = e^{2u} (du^2 + d\theta^2 )[/itex]. The appearance of this overall prefactor in the metric means that the plane with a point removed is not only topologically equivalent but also conformally equivalent to a cylinder [itex]\mathbb{R}_u \times S^1_\theta[/itex]. In plain terms, by locally deforming the punctured plane you can endow it with the metric of a flat cylinder which should make the topological equivalence clear.
 
Thanks Physics Monkey, that small substitution step helped quite a bit. Can you suggest some good references where I could learn more about these things without getting too caught up in formalism (which I have appreciation for, but just no time :frown:). Ryder makes all these statements which I am sure make sense if one thinks about them the way you suggest, but that does require some background in topology which I lack (I am concurrently reading topology but I am way behind all this.)