Topology of Aharonov Bohm Effect - Lewis Ryder's QFT book.

In summary, the configuration space of the Bohm-Aharonov experiment is topologically equivalent to the direct product of the line \mathbb{R}^1 and the circle S^1: \mathbb{R}^1 \times \mathbb{S}^1. This equivalence can be understood by locally deforming the punctured plane into a flat cylinder, making the topological equivalence clear. For further understanding, Nakahara's book "Geometry, Topology and Physics" is recommended.
maverick280857
Hi,

I am reading through Section 3.4 of Lewis Ryder's QFT book, where he makes the statement,

The configuration space of the Bohm-Aharonov experiment is the plane [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with a hole in, and this is topologically, the direct product of the line [itex]\mathbb{R}^1[/itex] and the circle [itex]S^1[/itex]: [itex]\mathbb{R}^1 \times \mathbb{S}^1[/itex].

This makes some sense intuitively, but can someone please explain this direct product equivalence to me as I do not have a firm background in topology (unfortunately, I need some of it for a project so I am reading it as I go along -- a bad idea, but I have no time :().

Specifically, how does this direct product come about?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the plane in polar coordinates: [itex] ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 [/itex]. If you remove the point r=0 then you can cover the the remaining space with the coordinates [itex] -\infty < u < \infty [/itex] ([itex] r = e^u [/itex]) and [itex] \theta [/itex]. The metric is then [itex] ds^2 = e^{2u} (du^2 + d\theta^2 ) [/itex]. The appearance of this overall prefactor in the metric means that the plane with a point removed is not only topologically equivalent but also conformally equivalent to a cylinder [itex] \mathbb{R}_u \times S^1_\theta [/itex]. In plain terms, by locally deforming the punctured plane you can endow it with the metric of a flat cylinder which should make the topological equivalence clear.

Thanks Physics Monkey, that small substitution step helped quite a bit. Can you suggest some good references where I could learn more about these things without getting too caught up in formalism (which I have appreciation for, but just no time :frown:). Ryder makes all these statements which I am sure make sense if one thinks about them the way you suggest, but that does require some background in topology which I lack (I am concurrently reading topology but I am way behind all this.)

Try Nakahara: Geometry, Topology and Physics

1. What is the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is a quantum phenomenon in which the presence of a magnetic field can affect the behavior of particles even in regions where the magnetic field is zero.

2. Who is Lewis Ryder and what is his QFT book?

Lewis Ryder is a physicist who wrote the book "Quantum Field Theory" which is a comprehensive and widely used textbook on quantum field theory and its applications.

3. What is topology in relation to the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

In the context of the Aharonov-Bohm effect, topology refers to the mathematical concept of the shape or structure of space. In this case, topology is used to describe how the presence of a magnetic field can affect the behavior of particles even in regions where the field is zero.

4. How does the Aharonov-Bohm effect relate to quantum mechanics?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is a quantum phenomenon, meaning it can only be explained and understood through the principles of quantum mechanics. It highlights the non-locality and strange behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are the practical applications of the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect has been observed and studied in various experimental setups, and it has important implications for fundamental physics and technology. It has been used in the development of quantum devices and may also have applications in quantum computing.