Torque and Magnitude of Acceleration Question

In summary, The conversation discusses how to establish a link between the rotation inertia and radius of a pulley and how it affects the acceleration of a 2 block system. The suggestion is made to use Newton's 2nd Law for the pulley and the equation for torque (T2-T1)R = I α = I a/R is provided as a possible solution.
jegues

Homework Statement

Question and data in attached diagram.

Homework Equations

Also in attached diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, in attached diagram.

I can't establish the link between the rotation inertia and radius of the pulley into how that effects the acceleration of my 2 block system. I'm assuming you have to use the torque or angular momentum to work it in there?

Attachments

• torquequestion.JPG
    torquequestion.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
Write Newton's 2nd Law for the pulley. That will give you a relation between the tensions on the two sides.

Torque = rxF ; F = T2-T1

Therefore torque = rx(T2-T1), Thats the only thing i can think of...

bump, I don't know how to use Newtons 2nd law on the pulley :/.

Torque corresponds to force, I to mass...

(T2-T1)R = I α = I a/R

Related to Torque and Magnitude of Acceleration Question

What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to produce rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration. This means that as torque increases, angular acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How is torque different from linear force?

Linear force is a straight-line force that causes an object to move in a straight line, while torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Additionally, torque takes into account the distance from the point of rotation, while linear force does not.