How do you find the magnitude of acceleration?

In summary, the problem asks to find the magnitude of acceleration for a block with a mass of 2.0 kg and two forces of 4.0 N acting on it on a frictionless surface. To find the acceleration, the net force needs to be calculated by breaking down the forces into their x- and y- components and then using the formula A=Fnet/M.
mikelison womack

Homework Statement

. If F = 4.0 N and m = 2.0 kg, what is the magnitude a of the acceleration for the block shown below? The surface is frictionless.
image001.gif

Homework Equations

F=MA +/- Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

19.6[/B]

Attachments

• image001.gif
    image001.gif
    3 KB · Views: 1,219
Physics news on Phys.org
mikelison womack said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution

Please show your work so we can identify where you've gone wrong.

I really just multiplied the mass and the acceleration due to gravity and that was it .

mikelison womack said:
I really just multiplied the mass and the acceleration due to gravity and that was it .
Umm.. that shows you have not understood the question.
Your calculation finds the downward force that gravity exerts on the block. You are asked to find a horizontal acceleration, not a force, and not downward.
Can you draw a free body diagram, showing all the forces on the block?

Likes mikelison womack
haruspex said:
Umm.. that shows you have not understood the question.
Your calculation finds the downward force that gravity exerts on the block. You are asked to find a horizontal acceleration, not a force, and not downward.
Can you draw a free body diagram, showing all the forces on the block?

i can draw the free body diagram but i still fail to understand what's going on.

mikelison womack said:
i can draw the free body diagram but i still fail to understand what's going on.
Please either post the diagram or describe it in detail.

haruspex said:
Please either post the diagram or describe it in detail.

Is there a specific formula to calculate the acceleration in this case.

mikelison womack said:

Homework Statement

. If F = 4.0 N and m = 2.0 kg, what is the magnitude a of the acceleration for the block shown below? The surface is frictionless.View attachment 235121
Are there two 4.0N forces acting on the block, as the drawing suggests? If so, those are the forces you need to account for, not the force due to gravity (the block is on a frictionless surface).
mikelison womack said:

Homework Equations

F=MA +/- Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

19.6[/B]

Mark44 said:
Are there two 4.0N forces acting on the block, as the drawing suggests?

no

mikelison womack said:
No. Please post or describe the FBD as requested.

mikelison womack said:
no
So which one should not be there?

the one showing the angle
haruspex said:
So which one should not be there?

Mark44 said:

mikelison womack said:
no
Then why does the drawing show two forces? As @haruspex said, which one shouldn't be there?

Mark44 said:
Then why does the drawing show two forces? As @haruspex said, which one shouldn't be there?[/QUOTE
I don't know

Mark44 said:

mikelison womack said:
no

If that diagram is directly from your problem, then it appears that there is indeed 2 forces, each of 4 N, being applied to the block.

mikelison womack said:

The formula doesn't change from problem to problem. It's just the normal acceleration formula ##A=\frac{F_{net}}{M}##. But you have to find the total net force, not just the individual forces.

Likes Delta2
Drakkith said:
If that diagram is directly from your problem, then it appears that there is indeed 2 forces, each of 4 N, being applied to the block.
The formula doesn't change from problem to problem. It's just the normal acceleration formula ##A=\frac{F_{net}}{M}##. But you have to find the total net force, not just the individual forces.
so when you say find the total net force i need to add all the forces acting on the object?

mikelison womack said:
so when you say find the total net force i need to add all the forces acting on the object?

Of course. But remember that forces only directly sum together if they are pointing in the same direction. Which they are not in this problem. How do you add two forces together that aren't pointing in the same direction?

Drakkith said:
Of course. But remember that forces only directly sum together if they are pointing in the same direction. Which they are not in this problem. How do you add two forces together that aren't pointing in the same direction?

I have no clue.

mikelison womack said:
I have no clue.

Break the forces down into their X- and Y- components. Do you know how to do that?

Drakkith said:
Break the forces down into their X- and Y- components. Do you know how to do that?
Nope, I don't have the best physics teacher

mikelison womack said:

Unfortunately it's not particularly easy to explain over a forum. Give this video a look and see if it helps:

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about this process.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately it's not particularly easy to explain over a forum. Give this video a look and see if it helps:

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about this process.

Okay, thank you.

mikelison womack said:
Okay, thank you.
is there an equation for magnitude.

mikelison womack said:
is there an equation for magnitude.

Magnitude of what?

Drakkith said:

mikelison womack said:
Do you have a textbook? Any halfway decent book would have some worked examples like the problem you posted.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration refers to the measurement of the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has a numerical value and does not have a direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity minus initial velocity) by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation: magnitude of acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnitude of acceleration?

The unit of measurement for magnitude of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is measured in feet per second squared (ft/s²).

4. Can the magnitude of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration can be negative if the object is decelerating, or if its velocity is decreasing over time. This means that the object is slowing down.

5. How does the magnitude of acceleration affect an object's motion?

The magnitude of acceleration affects an object's motion by determining how quickly its velocity changes. A larger magnitude of acceleration means the object's velocity is changing at a faster rate, resulting in a more dramatic change in motion. A smaller magnitude of acceleration means the object's velocity is changing at a slower rate, resulting in a more gradual change in motion.