Torque formula to throw a mass with two pulleys and a belt

In summary, the snowblower needs a pulley with a larger diameter to transmit the correct amount of torque.
jayjay
Hey guys
What's is the formula to find the force(torque) to throw a mass in the air that is 500kg/m(3) with 2 pulley and a belt.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
jayjay said:
ok so i need to find the mass like in kg? like for an exemple a 5 gallon bucket full of snow

Yes. More important, you need to define "throw" numerically. How high? How fast? Is it fast enough that we need to consider air drag on the thrown object?

anorlunda said:
Yes. More important, you need to define "throw" numerically. How high? How fast? Is it fast enough that we need to consider air drag on the thrown object?

well just trying to figure out how much force i need to the pulley to throw snow with a snowblower. that's why i found 500kg of density of snow in the snowblower cylinder that is 14 inch diameter and 5 inch deep roughly. but i might be wrong.
maybe this can't be solve.

also found that 1 cubic foot of water weight 62.4 lbs and they said snow weight around 30% of that.
so trying to calculate how many pounds of water in a cylinder that is 14 inch diameter by 5 inch.
that could give me a rough number in kg than found out how many force that pulley will need to throw that weight.

jayjay said:
well just trying to figure out how much force i need to the pulley to throw snow with a snowblower.
That puts in context. It is far easier to work with power than speed, acceleration and those equations of motion.

First, figure out how much power your snow blower needs? Then, power=torque*RPM is the remaining formula.

You can buy snowblowers in the store with power ratings from 2 hp to 15 hp or more. Which of those fits your need?

anorlunda said:
That puts in context. It is far easier to work with power than speed, acceleration and those equations of motion.

First, figure out how much power your snow blower needs? Then, power=torque*RPM is the remaining formula.

You can buy snowblowers in the store with power ratings from 2 hp to 15 hp or more. Which of those fits your need?

i have everyting settup already but it doenst throw snow so i have to change the pulley and that's why i want to make sure i have the right pulley for the troque

you'll understand better with the video
there's a shaft with 2 3inch pulley that trasmit the torque but they are to small

1. What is the formula for calculating torque in a system with two pulleys and a belt?

The formula for torque in this type of system is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied to the belt, and r is the radius of the pulley.

2. How do I determine the force needed to throw a mass using this setup?

To calculate the force needed, you can use the equation F = (m x a)/r, where F is force, m is the mass of the object, a is the desired acceleration, and r is the radius of the pulley.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of mass, or are there limitations?

This formula can be used for any mass, as long as the force and radius values are accurate and the system is set up correctly. However, it is important to keep in mind that other factors such as friction and air resistance may affect the actual outcome.

4. What is the role of the belt in this system?

The belt serves as a medium for transferring the force from one pulley to the other. Without the belt, the pulleys would not be able to rotate and the force would not be transmitted.

5. How can I use this formula to optimize my system for maximum torque?

To optimize your system, you can adjust the force and radius values to find the combination that results in the highest torque. Additionally, using a belt with a larger contact area and lower coefficient of friction can also help to increase the torque output.