Torque, produced by gyroscopic precession

In summary: DieckmannIn summary, Ralf Dieckmann is seeking information about the torque produced when a spinning gyroscope with two degrees of freedom is placed on the surface of the Earth. He provides the physical properties of the flywheel and mentions that he has created a solid model of the gyroscope. He also mentions the coriolis effect, but believes it does not apply in this situation. He amends his question to specify that the gyroscope should be located at the Equator, where the precession torque would be highest. He also discusses the direction of precession and wonders if his question should have been posted in a physics forum.
Trackmann
Hello All,

When a spinning gyroscope with two degrees of freedom sits on the surface of the Earth, with its spin axis perpendicular to the Earth and its inner gimbal aligned east to west, it will precess.
What I would like to know is, how much torque is produced about the east-west axis when the spin axis is mearest to perpendicular to the surface of the Earth.
The following are the physical properties of the flywheel:

1) The diameter is 12.0"
2) The thickness is 2.0"
3) The mass is 22.498 Lbs.
4) The Rs PM are 45.
5) The rotation is counter clockwise as viewed from the North end of the flywheel.

I have solid modeled the gyroscope in Mechanical Desktop and I am attaching a jpeg image.
If I did not provide enough information, please ask.

Ralf Dieckmann

Attachments

• FLYWHEEL_ASSY.jpg
    FLYWHEEL_ASSY.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered the coriolis effect?

Hello Chronos,

I think the coriolis effect only applies to matter not rigidly attached to planet earth, such as wind, the atmosphere, airplanes and projectiles.

Also, your answer seems to imply that I am not sure as to what causes the gyroscope to precess.
It is the rotation of the Earth that causes the gyroscope to precess. What I would like to know is, what the torque value would be.

In addition, I would like to amend my original question to state that my solid model of the gyroscope should be located at the Equator. That is where the precession torque would be highest, diminishing, as the gyroscope shifts its location, either toward the north or the south.

From What I read about the coriolis force is, that it acts in one direction in the northern hemisphere and in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere. My gyroscope will precess in the same direction no matter which side of the Equator it is on.

I wonder if I should have posted my question in a forum dealing with physics?

Ralf

What is torque, produced by gyroscopic precession?

Torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, is a phenomenon that occurs when a spinning object experiences a force that is perpendicular to both its spin axis and the direction of its motion. This force is known as torque and is caused by the gyroscopic effect.

How is torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, useful in science?

Torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, is useful in science because it can be used to stabilize and control the motion of spinning objects, such as gyroscopes. This is why gyroscopes are commonly used in navigation systems, spacecraft, and other devices that require precise motion control.

What factors affect the magnitude of torque, produced by gyroscopic precession?

The magnitude of torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, is affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the spinning object, the speed of its rotation, and the force applied to it. Additionally, the angle between the spin axis and the direction of motion also plays a role in determining the magnitude of torque.

Can torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, be manipulated?

Yes, torque, produced by gyroscopic precession, can be manipulated by changing the factors that affect its magnitude. For example, the direction and magnitude of the applied force can be altered to control the motion of the spinning object and the resulting torque. Additionally, by changing the shape or speed of rotation of the object, the magnitude of torque can also be modified.

What are some real-world applications of torque, produced by gyroscopic precession?

There are many real-world applications of torque, produced by gyroscopic precession. Some examples include gyroscopic stabilization systems in aircraft, missiles, and spacecraft, gyroscopes used in navigation and guidance systems, and gyroscopic exercise equipment. Gyroscopic precession is also utilized in various industrial machines and devices, such as drills, cameras, and gyroscopic sensors.