1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque transmitted through a helix angle?

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi all, my first post here,
    I've succumbed to some help if possible, i know its wrong but it's getting my goat! now, and many times in years gone by.

I am building something as always, and reverse engineering exisiting drive components to select suitable new ones if that makes sense. In particular I am looking at a screw helix mathemtically (trying). or should i say just a screw.

what i want know is the relationship between :

the torque applied at a radius of a screw,
    and the linear resultant force.

taking into consideration of course the helix angle, or i think, the helix angle. as that has a relationship with the force output, through an angle.

for instance, a screw thread with diameter 8 and a lead (pitch) of 2.5 between threads. using the trig formula

inv tan = opp / ADJ

and modifying slightly to add 'pi' , as the helix angle is using one full circumfrence of the screw against one pitch. and we are not working in 2d anymore.

inv tan = ( opp / pi.ADJ )

torque1.JPG

torque2.JPG

gives a helix angle of 5.68 degrees, great, the helix angle.

now,
    what i would like to know is how does that helix angle now affect the output force as a multiplier, forgiving friction, with regard to what is input (torque/any) through the handle
    i can see it is a ratio, and it changes uniformly, it is a decimal number, a mutliplier, how is the geometrical ratio now expressed?, how much force is output through a helix angle, any!.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    bieng as the screw moved 2.5mm of linear movement for a total circular movement of 25.1327412mm , is that not proportional to the output ratio in itself? 25.1327412/2.5 = 10.05

would then an input force be multiplied by this 10.05 ratio to give whats output?

i.e 10nm torque input on the short handle = (10N x 0.125M ) = 1.25Nm at the handle

multiplied by 10.05 = 12.56N output?

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    correct, if velocity ratio comes out to be 1/10 (use law of conservation of energy), the force at output increases ten folds

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    I hope your spindle has balls. If not, friction consumes much more torque than pitch does.

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    friction is omitted purposely from the assumption, (read 1st post) there are no balls at this stage, Its just for proving the maths, thanks by the way.

i find it interesting that force output through a screw can be calculated with the ratio of the pitch (distance travelled axially) to the circumfrence (work done in one turn), I guess those two factors produce a ratio, of course, and also a helix angle.

is there not a way that you can include the helix angle into a calculation? or is it irrelevant?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?