Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toss Around Ideas For This Contest

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    This is a portrait drawing contest for a club with a lot of members on DeviantArt:

---------------
    HOLIDAY CONTEST
    Rules:
    Theme: Halloween and Christmas. Draw a pencil portrait drawing of either/both themes eg. Frankenstein, a .witch, Santa, Grinch, an angel
    You may submit ONE entry for each theme. In other words, you cannot have two drawings for Halloween, or two drawings for Christmas.
    It must be a NEW piece of work, so you cannot simply submit something old from your gallery.
    --------------

I'd like an idea for a portrait that I could enter in this contest but which would also fit in with my other portraits without drawing attention to itself as a Christmas or Halloween themed drawing. I hope that's clear: I wouldn't do Santa, Frankenstein, a witch, or an angel, because I want something that will fit in with a bunch of portraits of ordinary people. I have a couple ideas but they're not altogether exiting. Be interesting to see what people here come up with.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about something like a kid in face paint done up for Halloween? It fits the theme, and would still be of an ordinary person too. Or maybe one of someone concentrating hard on creating a jack-o-latern, or just standing in a pumpkin patch?

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    What about Santa dressed like the grim reaper?

5. Oct 14, 2007 #4
    No, you don't get it. The portrait I want would fit with Halloween but outside the context of the contest not make people automatically think of Halloween.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  6. Oct 14, 2007 #5
    No. Outside the context of the contest that still says Christmas and Halloween.

7. Oct 14, 2007 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about a person who's busy creating holiday-themed banners for newspaper inserts, etc. I'm envisioning a guy (or gal) clutching a small santa model while drawing a "holiday sale at Wal-mart" piece, and the previous inserts (Thanksgiving, Halloween, Columbus day etc) are scattered around.

8. Oct 14, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just enter yur portrait of Math Is Hard with wings behind her. Or an ordinary portrait of someone who could be mistaken for Kris Kringle who is wearing ordinary clothes so its not immediately obvious. Or if you want to be a bit more surreal you could have a portrait of a pumpkin (featureless and not carved) with a human body and the head of somebody you know as the halloween pumpkin with a candle and a strange expression, although that will be a bit more obvious. Or a portrait of a stereotypical Jesus looking figure with a party hat on or something.

9. Oct 14, 2007 #8
    Basically, I just want it to be a portrait, not an illustration. Examples of portraits that would fit with Halloween, would be, for example Charles Manson or Edgar Allen Poe. They would also stand on their own and not automatically make people think "Halloween." The point of that is I want to be able to include them seemlessly in with the portraits I already have after this contest is over and done with. The right portrait has to fit the contest theme in a subtle, ingenious way. I would very much prefer it not be an historical character, but someone no one there will recognize. A portrait of, say, Charles Dickens would fit the Christmas theme, but I find that idea too heavy handed.

There's a subtle, ingenious solution to this which is right on the tip of my pencil, but I can't quite get to it.

10. Oct 14, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems you're asking the impossible. A portrait of someone that would be associated with Halloween, but of an ordinary person nobody knows...so how on earth would anyone be able to associate them with a holiday?

11. Oct 14, 2007 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh right. Well if you were going with the convict stakes you might want to go with Ted Bundy or Jeffery Dahmer. People who aren't recognisable to a large group of people and thus would just seem like an ordinary portrait but would obviously have that horror element. I'm trying to think if there was one with a particular emphasis on halloween or christmas but I'm not sure.

12. Oct 14, 2007 #11
    Math is Hard is already in my gallery there, so she's disqualified. Wings are out. The idea of someone who looks like off duty Kris Kringle is on the right track, but that particular character is a bit too obvious a choice for Christmas.
    No, nothing surreal.

13. Oct 14, 2007 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a large canvas, you can do a close-up of someone wearing glasses, watching the telly (which is reflected in the glasses) - then you just have to put desired scary character into the reflection of the TV, and the appropriate expression (being scared, perhaps?) on the subject's face.

14. Oct 14, 2007 #13
    No, it doesn't have to say "Halloween". It just has to fit within the theme of "Halloween."

That, in and of itself, is a cinch:
    [​IMG]

I just googled "scary face". Do you know that guy?

Thing is, I want something that will fit seemlessly with my other portraits when the contest is over.

15. Oct 14, 2007 #14
    Hmmmmm. That's pretty good, Gokul. Getting warmer.

16. Oct 14, 2007 #15
  17. Oct 14, 2007 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a person with the remnants of a fake beard? Someone who looks as though they've been wearing a costume for the last nine hours.

18. Oct 14, 2007 #17
    Those are illustrative ideas. They tell a story.

I thought of an example of a portrait: were I to find someone with an authentically large, red nose, say some kind of homeless alcoholic with a Jimmy Durante schnozz, I could draw him as he was and title it "Skid Row Rudolf", then submit it as a Christmas entry. It's edgy, unexpected, and would stand out as a clever stretching of the theme. After the contest I could simply retitle it "Portrait of Joe", and it fits in seemlessly with the other portraits, not reminding anyone of Christmas.

Trouble with that particular idea is that I wouldn't want to take the trouble to draw a picture that no one is going to want hanging in their living room someday. That one might be a bit too ugly.

19. Oct 14, 2007 #18
    somebody biting a small candy cane

--------------------

how about 'holiday' earrings?

-----------------------

or combine the two:

a candy cane shaped nose piercing?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  20. Oct 15, 2007 #19
    Let's try a new tack.

Think about it and tell me what you think Feynman would suggest.

21. Oct 15, 2007 #20
    cut along the grid lines, and re-arrange it ---to get a new perspective of it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?