1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total Angular Momentum Measurements

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle with orbital momentum ##l=1## and spin ##s = 1/2## to be in the state described by
    $$\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}| 1,1\rangle|\downarrow\rangle+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}|1,0\rangle|\uparrow\rangle$$

If the total angular momentum is measured what would be the possible outcomes? What are the corresponding probabilities?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\mathbf{J} = \mathbf{L}+\mathbf{S}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so on the surface this seems pretty simple, but I want to make sure that I am not thinking about this wrong.

For the first state: ##J=1-1/2 =1/2## with probability ##1/5## and the second state ##J=1+1/2=3/2## with probability ##4/5##. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, it's not correct. You need to express the state in terms of eigenstates of ##J^2##.

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    On second looks, it's not as easy as I thought. For some reason I thought it was ##|j,m\rangle## and instead it is ##|l,m\rangle|s_z\rangle##

What would be a good way to approach this problem? In thinking about it again, I need to determine ##j##, but I am not sure how to go about doing so.

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look up the appropriate Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted