1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Total electric charge on the earth,

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The earth can be regarded as a sphere of radius R,
    the volume density of charge distributed as [tex] \rho = \frac{\rho_s r}{R} [/tex]
    where the density is 0 at thcce centre and rises linearly with radius until it reaches ps at the earth's surface

i) prove that the total charge on the earth is [tex] \pi \rho_s R^3 [/tex]

ii) use gauss's law to find an expression for E at the point r outside the earth (r>R)

iii) use gauss's law to find an expression for E within the earths interior (r<R)

iv) write expressions for the x-, y- and z- components of E at a point outside the earth and calculate [tex] \bf{\nabla .E }

2. Relevant equations

Qenclosed = [tex] \int_v \rho d\tau. [/tex] (for a volume)

[tex] \oint_S \bf{E} . d\bf{a} = \frac{1}{\epsilon} Qenclosed [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \int_v \rho \dtau [/tex]

substituting in the given rho,

[tex] \int \rho_s \frac{r}{R} \dtau[/tex]

the outer radius r is = R so it just becomes R/R =1,

[tex] \rho_s *1 \int \dtau [/tex]

this is where I integrate the dtau and it should give me the volume of a sphere

[tex] \rho_s \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 [/tex]

this sort of looks like the answer i'm looking for
    HOWEVER I DONT KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THE 4/3 constant!!!
    what have I done wrong?
    i've tried heaps of other methods, but I'm always getting some type of constant out the front

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The density is proportional to r, as you wrote, but you can't pull this factor of r outside the integral. You should write:
    [tex]\int_0^R\rho(r)d\tau = \int_0^R\rho_s\frac{r}{R}4\pi r^2 dr = 4\pi\frac{\rho_s}{R}\int_0^Rr^3 dr = 4\pi \frac{\rho_s}{R} \frac{R^4}{4} = \pi\rho_sR^3[/tex]

Does this make sense?

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3
    Yes thanks, I actually ended up doing it like this myself last night, I just didn't update it here on PF

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook