Total Lunar Eclipse 8th Oct 2014
- Thread starter davenn
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Eclipse Lunar Lunar eclipse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 3K views
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Discussion
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
Doggone. Should have gone to Hawaii.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
One of the nice things about following professional photographers on Facebook, is that one of them invariably shares the works of their fellows:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/q89/s720x720/10641090_10153270778519478_1114441611559454376_n.jpg?oh=409bd9446197c5c08f4c132e794d1a22&oe=54C711A4&__gda__=1420712535_ccadd1641213f97b0e502ecdc9cefe2c
It pretty much changed my life. Figured I would share it here to help hype everyone up for tomorrow!
Where will you guys be? Happy Clear Skies everyone!
--- Jasman Lion Mander
posted yesterday
Lake Selmac, Oregon
April 15th, of 2014
Heres an image i made on the last blood moon we had April 15th, of 2014
It pretty much changed my life. Figured I would share it here to help hype everyone up for tomorrow!
Where will you guys be? Happy Clear Skies everyone!
--- Jasman Lion Mander
posted yesterday
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
was looking good here right up till 30 mins before the start just a few scattered clouds
then it pretty much totally clouded over ...
got a couple of the partial phase .. max totality is still 30 mins away so praying for a couple more gaps
so freakin' frustrating :(
Dave
PS totality starts in 2 minutes here
then it pretty much totally clouded over ...
got a couple of the partial phase .. max totality is still 30 mins away so praying for a couple more gaps
so freakin' frustrating :(
Dave
PS totality starts in 2 minutes here
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Thanks. But they're not Andy Resnick quality. :Ddavenn said:cool well done!, Don :)
Science Advisor
- 1,567
- 5,225
No nice pictures but I do have a voltage chart. :s
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/power-from-the-super-moon.765429/#post-4875478
Paper about lunar luminance data.
http://www.fh-brandenburg.de/~piweb/mitarbeiter/papers/AO_2008_1_klein.pdf
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/power-from-the-super-moon.765429/#post-4875478
Paper about lunar luminance data.
http://www.fh-brandenburg.de/~piweb/mitarbeiter/papers/AO_2008_1_klein.pdf
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,662
I had a nightmare last night that was so horrible, it woke me up.
I dreamt that I had just woken up, and it was 6:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, the nightmare occurred at 3:36 am, and I got to watch much of it.
I dreamt that I had just woken up, and it was 6:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, the nightmare occurred at 3:36 am, and I got to watch much of it.
enorbet
- 484
- 85
Thank you very much for this heads up. I was worried that clouds and scattered showers would continue here but by 4 AM they had cleared and the night sky was very clear. The full moon was so bright that here, given East Coast US conditions, that only perhaps 50 stars were visible due to the "wash out". As the shadow creeped across the Moon, more and more stars became visible and it was wonderful celestial theater.
Then I got an unexpected treat! Just as Totality was occurring the Sun began to "rise", opposite the Moon. This was occurring here just as the Moon was nearing the Horizon. It truly was a "Blood Moon" to behold. I'm hoping for some local photos better than mine.
Then I got an unexpected treat! Just as Totality was occurring the Sun began to "rise", opposite the Moon. This was occurring here just as the Moon was nearing the Horizon. It truly was a "Blood Moon" to behold. I'm hoping for some local photos better than mine.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
well the weather totally crapped out here :(
saw a few glimpses of the partial phase then nothing of totality
and of course I wake to a stunning sunny spring morning today
the mind boggles, that's 2 total lunar eclipses I have missed this year due to clouds on the nite :(
not a happy camper
saw a few glimpses of the partial phase then nothing of totality
and of course I wake to a stunning sunny spring morning today
the mind boggles, that's 2 total lunar eclipses I have missed this year due to clouds on the nite :(
not a happy camper
Mentor
- 23,212
- 7,700
OmCheeto said:I had a nightmare last night that was so horrible, it woke me up.
I dreamt that I had just woken up, and it was 6:30 in the morning.
Fortunately, the nightmare occurred at 3:36 am, and I got to watch much of it.
Ah, I see you got my psychic message to you about the burnt beans. Horrible, I know... :(
robotpie3000
- 14
- 1
I saw the eclipse from the balcony of my university atrium. It was quite cloudy but I could still see the reddish hue piercing through. It was my first proper experience of an eclipse and I was happy to be able to witness it, even if it was just for 10 minutes or so.
Similar threads
- russ_watters
- · Replies 31 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 31
- Jimin Lee
- · Replies 7 ·
- Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
- Replies
- 7
- Philosophaie
- · Replies 2 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 2
- lpetrich
- · Replies 2 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 2
- Evo
- · Replies 3 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 3
Stargazing
Star of David and Total Lunar Eclipse
- Kerrie
- · Replies 4 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 4
- marcus
- · Replies 6 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 6
Stargazing
Lunar Eclipse and earth's shadow
- rjstegbauer
- · Replies 5 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 5